Hangovers

You woke late Sunday morning. You felt awful and as the night came rushing back to you you groaned in embarrassment and hid your face in your pillow. You had almost certainly ruined your chances with Draco last night when you got wasted with his best friend, made a scene and humiliated yourself in front of every Slytherin in Hogwarts -- and some of the Ravenclaws as well. Even worse you had made plans to study transfigurations with Hermione all afternoon since you hadn't gotten much done with Draco and Blaise at the library earlier in the week. So, you couldn't wallow in your shame in your bedroom all day. You had to get up and face the world.

You got into the shower and stood there with your eyes closed. The hot water felt good on your aching muscles. Things that you had said at the game kept coming back to you. Was Blaise as drunk as you were? That would make things better. You never want to be the drunkest person at the party. Especially if that party is only two people.

You dried your hair and dressed in leggings and a sweater. You looked in the mirror and told yourself you looked cute and casual, but it was unconvincing. With a sigh, you shuffled to the mirror with your makeup debating whether you should put any on. If makeup would help your situation at all. You put your elbows on the counter and leaned your forehead against the cool mirror for a few minutes and studied your face. Your pores looked huge and you had old mascara flakes underneath your eyes. You found the energy to put on some B.B. cream a little eye shadow and mascara. You took a step back from the mirror and appraised your work. If you didn't look too hard, you were half decent.

You grabbed your book bag and headed towards the great hall to meet Hermione for lunch before the library. The moving stairs seemed like they were moving faster than normal and you felt so dizzy you leaned against a stone wall and closed your eyes. Other students continued walking past you, all of them talking entirely too loud.

"So how are we feeling today?" Said draco in a chipper voice. You groaned. You kept your eyes closed. You couldn't face Draco right now.

"Draco, I'm really sorry about last night" you said, closing your eyes tighter.

"Don't be sorry." He said. "It was a pleasure. You were graceful, dignified—"

"Oh god." You covered your face with your hands. "Please stop. Please."

"I can't wait until the next game." Said Draco. Usually you enjoyed Draco's sarcasm, but right now you couldn't tell if you were more nauseous or humiliated.

"I'm sorry. I can't do this right now. I'm late for lunch with Hermione." You got up and avoided eye contact completely.

Hermione was angry with Ron again. He was trying to guilt trip her into writing his history of magic paper for him.

"And the worst part is," she said "is that I know exactly what he's doing! But I'm still going to write his essay for him because I can't let him fail!"

"Why can't you let him fail?" You looked up at Hermione with your palm on your cheek.

"Because I .... because I can't!" You tried to listen attentively to Hermione but you were struggling."Are you Okay today y/n? You seem a little sluggish." She said.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just a little extra tired today." You picked at your food and stuck a small piece of fruit in your mouth.

She gave you one last concerned look before plowing on. "Well, okay. Anyway, I think we should also get a head start on our potions essays because, well, you know how Snape is with the Gryffindors." Hermione rolled her eyes. "I made a list of books we should look for in the library that should make for some pretty impressive sources. I also made a separate list of books that I think you would enjoy about the history of Hogwarts and the wizarding world of Great Britain." She passed the list to you.

"Thank you Hermione." You said. You weren't going to read any of the history books, but you would check them out of the library for show.

Draco spent the entire afternoon going over and over what he had said to you in the hall with Blaise in their common room. "I don't get it." Said Draco, "Did I say something? Did I offend her?"

"Mate, YOU are offending me with all this bloody talking." Blaise was slumped in an overstuffed armchair, nursing a hangover as bad as yours was.

"Well she obviously doesn't want to speak with me any more so I don't know what to make of that. Maybe it was Pansy. Tell me again what she was saying to Y/N before the game."

Blaise groaned, "I told you. Pansy was going ballistic, but Y/N seemed fine."

"Maybe Granger or Longbottom has been spreading rumors about me. Y/N said she was meeting with Hermione for lunch..."

"Mate, they aren't rumors. You're a total dick to both of them." Blaise needed this conversation to end. "Have you tried being nicer to her friends?"

"I don't understand what you mean by that." Said Draco petulantly.

"Yes you do. You just can't ever admit that you've done something wrong." Sighed Blaise.

"It's not about who's right or wrong, or who provokes who." Demanded Draco, though for the record, it was always them provoking him in his opinion. "What am I going to do about y/n?"

"I don't know." Blaise was completely done with this conversation. "Offer to give her flying lessons. I'm going back to bed." Blaise trudged back to his bedroom and left Draco to ponder his suggestions. The thought of being nice to Hermione Granger made his stomach clench. How would one even do that? So he settled on offering you flying lessons.