Before The Game

You quickly hid the sweatshirt on your lap. You felt a little embarrassed with a slytherin's quidditch sweatshirt and didn't want to get caught with it. You pulled a pen and a scrap of paper from your book bag and quickly wrote a note to lavender brown and sent it off to her. "He gave me his sweatshirt. Meet me in my room."
You cut your breakfast short and hurried back to the gryffindor common room. The sweatshirt wrapped back in its Brown paper and clutched to your chest.

"Going somewhere?" Pansy sneered. You turned your head and saw she was hanging out with a gang of other Slytherin girls by the moving staircase.

"I don't have time for this, Pansy" you said and you kept walking.

"I'll make it quick then. I just want to make sure we're clear," said Pansy "if you show your ugly little face at the game on Saturday, you'll be very sorry."

You rolled your eyes. "I'm shaking in my loafers Pansy. Really, I don't have time for this." You tried to push past her but she grabbed you by the arm. "We aren't finished here." She said.

You ripped your arm from her grip as hard as you could and said in a harsh low voice "Don't ever touch me." And walked up the stairway. You didn't look back at her.

Lavender brown liked to sleep in as late as possible and often missed breakfast entirely. She met you in your room, still in her pajamas, where you showed her the sweatshirt and told her about what Pansy had said in the hall.

"Oh my god. You have to go. You have to." She was pacing in your room "I mean he gave you his sweatshirt. Pansy will go mad when she sees you wearing Draco Malfoy's Quidditch sweatshirt."

"Oh god," you moaned and fell backwards on to your bed "Lavender, I don't want Pansy to go mad. I want her to leave me alone."

"This is the price you have to pay for love" She said. You saw passion and excitement on her face. She thought this was a romantic comedy or something.

"It's not like that" you said "he's just being nice. It wasn't even his idea it was Blaise who invited me to the game."

"Maybe they're both in love with you!" Lavender singsonged.

"Oh my god." You said exasperated. "I'm going to class. I'm going to be late for potions."

You stepped in to the potions classroom as Professor Snape was in the middle of his lecture. "Miss l/n, tardiness is unacceptable in my class room as you are aware."

"I'm sorry professor." You said. You had never gotten in trouble in potions before. Professor Snape was especially hard on Gryffindors, but you have never given him any room to criticize you. Potions was your best subject.

"Usually tardiness is a 10 point penalty Miss l/n, but as you are my top student this year I'll allow you to save your house points, if you can answer this question."

You nodded and waited patiently.

"What is the proper way to extract moonseed from a Madagascar moon bean?"

"Oh," you knew this one "you should boil it first, then slice the bean in half and remove the seeds with the tip of your knife."

"That is correct." Professor Snape mumbled "Please take your seat."

"That was an easy question." Muttered Draco next to you.

"Are you jealous that snape just called me his top student?"

"Yes." He said.

"I guess you've just gotta work harder, Draco."

Snape shushed the class harshly and the two of you took your notes in silence.

"So why were you late?" Asked Draco while the two of you worked on your potions assignment for the morning.

"Just one of those mornings." You said with a sigh.

"Yes, but you never have those mornings. You're always early."

This was true. You were always early so you could talk with Draco before class. "I was talking with lavender brown in our common room."

"Lavender brown?" Draco sounded amused. "That girl has never uttered an interesting word in her life. How could talking to her have made you late for anything?"

"She's nice, Draco." Draco could see that you were getting flustered and he enjoyed that. You were cute when your confidence was a little bit shaken.

"So what were you talking about with Lavender Brown that made you eight minutes late for your favorite class?"

You were not going to admit that you and lavender were gushing about him all morning so you said "Pansy. She threatened me this morning after breakfast."

Draco laughed, "did she really? What did she say?"

"She told me not to go to the game on Saturday." You said nonchalantly while you ground up some beetle eyes

"And did it work? Do you feel threatened?" Draco smirked.

"I'm not afraid of Pansy Parkinson" you said

"Good. Then I'll see you at the game on Saturday."

"She didn't thank me. She didn't even mention the sweater. I'm telling you, man, it was a bad idea. I never should have listened to you." Said Draco to Blaise at lunch that afternoon.

"Dude, don't worry about that. You should be worried about Pansy. That girl is going off the rails. You said she threatened your girl." Said Blaise.

"She's not my girl" Said Draco. "And there's nothing I can do about Pansy. She's always been crazy."

"I'm just saying," Said Blaise, "That girl is going to ruin this for you."

Blaise might have been right. Pansy had always been annoying, but now that she was threatening you, it was a problem. Draco didn't know what he could possibly do about it. He sat in silence, brooding for the rest of lunch.

Meanwhile up in your bedroom you tried on Draco's sweatshirt and it gave you butterflies. You felt very nervous about the Quidditch game on Saturday. You wouldn't let Pansy scare you out of going, but you were going to need a little bit of help to get through it. So you went and found the Weasley twins to see if they could get you some Fire Whiskey.