The Concussion

Draco dropped his broomstick on the ground and sprinted towards you. Something was definitely wrong with that school broomstick. You lay on the grass motionless and the broom jittered off into the distance, bucking and kicking through the treetops.

Draco dropped to his knees by your side. "Y/n!" He could tell from looking at you that your arm was broken but your eyes were also glassy and you weren't responding to him. He waved a hand in front of your face but your eyes did not change. He had seen a lot of concussions in Quidditch, Crabbe and Goyle especially weren't the most careful with the Quaffle, this seemed like it might be a bad one.

Draco gently crossed your broken arm over your body for support and cradled your head as he lifted you to bring you to madam pomfrey. You felt light in his arms, like a doll and the whole way to the hospital tower he kicked himself for not insisting that you fly on a nicer broomstick. He should have given you his own to use.

Draco spent some time volunteering in the hospital wing with Madame Pomfrey. He was interested in treating injuries on the Quidditch field, and perhaps pursuing a career in sports medicine if his professional Quidditch career didn't pan out. His hours in Madame Pomfrey's infirmary after Quidditch games had gone wrong had never come in handy like it had now.

Madam Pomfrey was able to fix the broken arm without any issues. Draco was too nervous to attempt the spell on his own. The concussion however, was severe and she didn't have any immediate treatments for it. You were conscious but not vocal. Your eyes lazily followed the light from the tip of madam Pomfrey's wand.

"Okay dearie," She said to you. "Can you hear us alright?" But you made no indication that you heard her voice.

Draco fretted by your bedside. Madame Pomfrey diagnosed the concussion and asked him to remain there and notify her of changes in your condition. Draco looked down at you, his eyes filled with guilt.

"Accidents happen, Mister Malfoy" said Madame Pomfrey. "This isn't anybody's fault."

Draco gave madame pomfrey a small smile. He had always liked Madame Pomfrey. After all, there was nothing to dislike. Since he had started volunteering his help, she had taken a shine to him as well. Madame pomfrey patted Draco's arm gently and went to check on a first year at the other end of the infirmary. Draco did have a sneaking suspicion that this was someone's fault. It wasn't hard to guess who would want to tamper with the broom that he had rented for y/n.

Draco delicately brushed the hair from your forehead with just his middle and index fingers, careful not to disturb you too much. Your eyes fluttered at his touch and he worried that he may have hit a tender spot on your head. "Sorry." He muttered, "for everything." You stared blankly at the walk across from you, eyelids lowered slightly.

Draco had pulled up a chair next to you and paid attention to every blink and every twitch of your fingers. After half an hour, you said hoarsely, "water. Water please. With ice?" You said it just loud enough for Draco to hear you.

Draco jumped to get you a glass of ice water and he helped you to drink it through a straw. Madame Pomfrey came to check on you once again and it wasn't long before you were asking to return to your bedroom.

"I'm okay," you kept repeating, "Really, I'm okay now."

"Well there's not much to be done for you hear, but you need supervision miss l/n" said madam pomfrey sympathetically. "We have to monitor your head trauma carefully; someone needs to be looking after you."

"I don't mind looking after her" said Draco "it is my fault that she's been in this accident anyway."

"Mr. Malfoy that's very generous of you." Said Madame Pomfrey, "Ms l/n must remain awake until 10pm this evening. After which she can only be allowed to sleep in two hour increments. She'll experience some head pain but she should be back to normal by Sunday. You can expect some changes in temperament and short term memory loss but If she becomes nauseas it's best to bring her back here." Madame Pomfrey wrote all of this down for Draco and with that you were allowed to leave the infirmary.