Chapter 17

AnnaBelle

I was in a hospital gown when I woke up, my eyes having to squint to adjust to the light of what looked to be a hospital room, white walls surrounding a single bed in the middle of the room.

"I'm glad to see you're awake, Annabelle." A voice startled me and when I looked over my shoulder, I realized there was a middle-aged man in scrubs glancing at the machinery beside my bed.

I could've almost jumped for joy when I finally heard someone call me by my real name, except I was connected to an IV and that probably wouldn't have worked out well on my end.

"How're you feeling?" He asked, taking out a clipboard and writing something down on it, glancing at me for an answer.

How was I feeling? I felt terrible, I had just been raped, but on the other hand, I felt great. I was free.

"I'm doing alright." I hesitated, looking around the room for any sign of Harry, or anyone else for that matter. I felt paranoid, scared of what was going to happen to me, and even Harry for that matter. "Is he in jail? He's locked away, right?" I was suddenly panicking as whatever had happened before I passed out came to mind in much greater detail than before.

He was touching me, everywhere.

"That's what I need to speak to you about, Annabelle. You had somehow found your way into a web of confusion when it came to Harry, he's not entirely right in the head."

I scoffed at the doctor, knowing he was more than correct. Harry wasn't right in the head.

"What're you trying to say?" I asked, fiddling with the blankets that had collected at my lap and covered my bare legs.

"Four years ago, something happened to Harry. He was caught in a fire at a gas station, along with two other people. The store clerk was pumping someone's gas when the fire broke out unknowingly." The doctor who was yet to be named seated himself in a nearby chair to tell the story of why Harry was how he was. "Do you know what the two other people were named?"

"What?" I mumbled, knowing the doctor was taking his sweet time to explain the story, not in any rush at all.

"Bella and Gemma." Two out of the three names I never wanted to hear again fell from the doctor's lips, surprising me by far. "Harry's convinced, after learning the names of the two women who died in the fire, mother and daughter, that he was related to them. He had no physical injuries from the fire, but mentally, he's suffered a loss."

I gulped at everything the doctor was telling me, already feeling the need to cry once again. A part of me couldn't help but feel bad for Harry, while another didn't know what to feel.

"A part of his brain sort of, malfunctioned, if you may, and he mixed up all of his former relationships and everything he knows from previous girls, and convinced himself that all those other girls were Bella." Oh. "While I was treating him, all he would speak of was Bella this, Bella that. He's entirely convinced that he had a very intimate relationship with his niece, Bella, and that Gemma was his sister. His parents died, no living family nearby, so it was only pure instinct for him to find another family."

"Holy shit." I mumbled, realizing how everything seemed to fit together. Bella was dead, Harry was never going to kill me. "Then what happened?" I wanted to know more, it was so fascinating and weird, seeming to come out of some type of drama movie.

"He's a legal adult, he checked himself out of the hospital in search for Bella, and I was very surprised to find him being checked back in tonight. The police must've had a look at his file after breaking up whatever was going on at his house."