10: Patton

For the first time in his life, Patton was actually feeling quite anxious. His heart was beating a mile a minute and he couldn't stop wringing his hands together. He bounced on the balls of his feet and waited. Any minute the door would open. Or at least he hoped so.

  Patton was actually outside Virgil's house. He knew that they had all agreed not to come here without one another, but they had tried that the day before and it hadn't gone well at all. They had gotten just inside the door when Roman had decided to open his mouth and bluntly ask about Virgil's necklace. After that they were kicked out with no hope of ever being allowed back in. Or at least that's what Virgil and Logan had both concluded.

  Patton still had hope though. Maybe if he talked to her, actually had a conversation with Virgil's mother, he could get somewhere with her. He couldn't bring anyone else though, he knew if he did there would be no chance of finding anything out. Roman would probably come out and ask bluntly again, Logan would be too inquisitive, and surely she would not even considering talking around Virgil.

  "What do you want?" The woman sniped. Patton knew instantly that he had to pick his words carefully. Pick something that she might actually talk about. There was only one thing that Patton could think of.

  "I was wondering if I could talk to you about Virgil. It's nothing bad, I just had a few quick questions for you." Patton said. He watched as she mulled it over before opening the door and inviting him in. Patton didn't know if this made him nervous or hopeful.

  "Take a seat and I'll make some tea." The woman said and Patton nodded as he looked around the living room. It was spotless, no dirt anywhere to be seen. And it was all so bright compared to the boy who lived here. The house and Virgil contrasted completely.

  As Patton looked around, he couldn't help but notice the pictures on the mantle. Every one of them contained Virgil. There were rarely any that had people other than Virgil in them. Those that did were of Virgil and his mother, except for one. A baby picture, a new born Virgil being held by a man who looked like Virgil but with blue eyes rather than brown.

  "Here we are." Virgil's mother said coming back in with two cups of tea. She placed one on the coffee table and the other she held in her hands. Patton moved to where she placed it and picked it up with a small thank you before sitting down across from the woman. "So what is it that you wanted to say about Virgil?"

  Patton took a sip of tea before speaking, and winced slightly, accidentally burning his tongue on the hot liquid. "Well, as you may know, I have been friends with Virgil for quite some time now. He's a sweet boy," Patton said, he had to resist the urge to call Virgil any nicknames. He had to try and keep this formal, if he did there might be more of a chance of the woman letting Patton speak. "And he's easily become one of my best friends."

  "Where is this going?" The woman asked. Her tone was filled with uneasiness and uncertainty. She didn't seem to like it at all.

  "Well, I um," Patton wrung his hands together once again. He had no idea where he was going with this. He had no idea how to get the information he needed from this woman. "I was wondering, I like your son a lot, and if Virgil by some chance feels the same way, if maybe you wouldn't mind us dating?"

  Patton mentally scolded himself. Why of all things would he bring that up? It would surely make things worse. And just like he thought it would, it did.

  A look of disgust made its way onto her face. "No. No, no. My Virgil does not swing that way. He is not gay and will not return your feelings. You know, it is not natural to feel that way about someone that is the same sex as you, don't you?" She almost spat the words in Patton's face.