11: Virgil

Hours had passed. Virgil was currently sitting in the waiting room with Logan and Roman. Victoria was in Patton's hospital room, waiting for him to wake. Patton's father was at home with Patton's siblings. Although they had school the next morning, Logan, Roman and Virgil showed no signs of moving.

Patton's head had actually been cracked. Virgil didn't think they were really supposed to know, but he had overheard the doctors talking about possibly being caused by a glass tea pot to the head due to the burns he suffered as well. He didn't tell Logan or Roman about that though, and certainly he wasn't going to tell Victoria. As bad as it might be, it was better off if she thought this was some kind of freak accident.

Virgil had some guesses as to what had happened, and upon Victoria telling him that Patton had requested he not go home, he knew exactly what had happened. After all he had made his mother tea many time and used the glass tea pot. What had made his mother fly over the edge? And was this how she made all his past friends stop being his friends? Virgil was sure he was better off not knowing.

Beside him, Logan had fallen asleep. His head on Roman's shoulder as he slept. His glasses were off, Roman having taken them off upon realizing that the logical one was asleep. His glasses now hung from the collar of Roman's shirt.

In that moment, Virgil couldn't help but feel out of place. He knew he didn't belong here. If he hadn't joined their little friend group, none of this would have happened. Patton wouldn't be in the hospital, they wouldn't be waiting in these uncomfortable chairs, and Roman wouldn't have his white clothes stained with Patton's blood.

Virgil looked down at the floor, his fingers tangling themselves in his hair as he pulled at the strands. The only thoughts that circled his head was that this was all his fault. He had to leave. But he needed to know that Patton was okay first. Then he would leave and the three of them could go back to the way things were before, back when Virgil wasn't around and couldn't cause any problems.

"Virgil?" It was a surprise to hear his real name come from Roman's mouth. "Virgil, are you okay?"

"Yeah. Fine." Virgil said, although his eyes didn't leave the floor. He couldn't look up at Roman right now - or anyone for that matter. Not when he knew that it was his fault that Patton was hurt. Patton was nothing but nice to people, he didn't deserve any of this.

"That doesn't sound very fine to me, Mr cranky pants." Roman said. Virgil knew he was only throwing in the nickname to try and lighten the mood. "Listen, Patton's going to be fine, the doctors said so themselves."

Virgil didn't respond. How could he? If he opened his mouth then he would share things he didn't want to. Things like the horrible truth that it was his own mother who had done this.

"Look, I know you might think it's your fault," Roman could see right through Virgil, or maybe they had just been friends long enough for Roman to know that Virgil would believe this was his fault whether it was or not. "But it's not. Unless you were the one to hurt Patton. Which I actually highly doubt since you seem quite fond of him, Panic! At the everywhere."

Virgil let out a bitter laugh. He wasn't sure what made him laugh though. It had to either had been Roman telling him it wasn't his fault or that Virgil was fond of Patton, because both of those were very wrong. Not to say Virgil wasn't fond of Patton, he was very fond of him, maybe even more so. Patton had showed him what it felt like to actually be loved - whether that love was platonic or not - and to love.

"I would never hurt, Patton." He had the urge to say that no one would actually hurt Patton, but stopped himself upon realizing how wrong that was. Two people had hurt him within the time Virgil had known him. The first one hadn't done anything physical but they had verbally abused Patton. Which Virgil didn't understand why. Why did bad things have to happen to someone who did nothing but good?

"See, then it's not your fault." Roman said, reaching over to pat Virgil's shoulder. "After all you have no control over your mother's actions."

Virgil froze at that, his blood running cold. His head shot up and he looked at Roman in a mixture of shock and uncertainty. How did Roman know his mother had done this? Surely he couldn't actually know.

"What...?" Was the only thing Virgil managed to say.

"Oh come on, you can't possibly be that stupid. I know we both overheard what the doctor said. I know my looks might make me look stupid, but I'm really not. I can put a simple puzzle together." Roman said.

Virgil looked down at the ground once again. How was he supposed to just admit that his mother had done something like that? Yeah, Virgil didn't like his mother, but she was still his mother after all. He couldn't just speak up against her. Especially with the fear of her finding out he had. Not because she would do anything to him, his mom wouldn't ever hurt him, but he didn't put it past her to hurt other people. And that thought alone, terrified Virgil.

👓👑👔🌩

The next thing Virgil knew was he was he was the one who was being woken up. He was leaning against Logan's shoulder, the other having woken up before Virgil had fallen asleep. Roman was no where to be seen. "Virgil, we're allowed to go see him now. He's up, Roman already ran to his room."

Virgil didn't move. He wanted to go see Patton but did Patton really want to see him? Virgil was instantly plagued with the idea that this was his fault again. And if anyone knew it was his fault, Patton would. After all he was the one who actually knew what had happened.

"Virgil?" Logan asked upon noticing the other not moving. "Come on, Patton's going to want to see all of us."

"You go, I'll stay here." Virgil said.

Logan sighed, sitting down once again. "Listen Virgil, Patton's going to want to see you. He's going to want to know you're okay. Roman told me what happened... and knowing Patton, he's going to want to see it for himself that you're okay."

Virgil didn't get it. How can Patton care so much for him when he only caused problems for him? So many bad things had happened just because Patton associated himself with him. Couldn't Patton and the others see that? Surely at least Logan did. He was more detail oriented and picked up on a lot of things.

"Virgil, as much as I really don't want to, I will drag you if I have to. Remember, this is for Patton's benefit, not mine."

"Why?" Virgil couldn't help himself. The thought had come to mind after hearing Logan's words and he just had to ask. "Why does Patton care, why do any of you care?"

Virgil hated the fact that he was taking so long and keeping Patton waiting. But part of him knew it would be better if he just left. No matter how much it tore Virgil apart. Losing these three friends he had would dig him in the deepest hole he had ever been in, but if it meant protecting them, then he was willing to make that sacrifice. So here he was, stalling. Trying to make up some excuse to leave because he knew that if he went in to see Patton, he wouldn't ever want to leave. He'd get swept up in the love and friendship that the four of them had going on. Virgil couldn't have that, not as long as it put them in danger.

"Virgil, we care because you're our friend. It's what friends do, they look out for each other and take care of one another."

Virgil could feel his heart sink. Logan's words struck him even when they were meant to be reassuring, they only brought Virgil down. He knew what he had to do, he had to look out for his friends. If leaving them was how he had to do it, so be it.

"Then it's my turn to look out for you guys." And the Virgil was gone, leaving so fast that Logan hadn't even had the chance to stop him.

Idk about you guys but I love me some angst.

And like, fastest update in a while. Like actually within a week. Whoo! I'm planning on keeping this up, although no promises because life happened. But I will at least try.

Okay, I think that's all, well besides me just thanking you guys for your comments and votes.

Also, sorry for triggering some of you in chapter 10.

But anyway, love you all and have a good morning/ afternoon/ evening/ night.

~FandomFreak55555