20: Virgil

Credit goes to the artist.

  Virgil sighed, staring out the window at the dark world outside. Night had fallen a long time ago, and yet Virgil could not bring himself to go to sleep. Instead he sat on the windowsill, curled up and leaning against the cool glass. As far as he knew, the others were sleeping, for they had been silent for a while now. Their breathing sounded even.

  Not too long ago, Roman and Logan has actually gotten together. Despite knowing that they were each other's soulmate they had actually let their relationship grow naturally. That was something Virgil had noticed, not many people were slow with their soulmate, they got over excited because here was their soulmate, the one that they were going to love forever and ever, or at least as far as the stories go. It was a bit surprising to Virgil, but he guessed that maybe throwing their necklaces away about three months ago had been a turning point, something they could learn from. After all you do not go through something like that without learning something.

  For Virgil, he learned that he actually loved Patton. Before, he had known he had feelings for him, of course he had feelings for their dad like friend, who wouldn't? But he hadn't actually known the extent of his feelings. Heck, Virgil hadn't even known what love was, not until Patton came along and showed him.

  Patton was the first person who was truly there for Virgil. He befriended him, for whatever reason, and stuck with him. Patton had helped him through panic attacks, stuck with him when even when people made fun of or hurt him for it. He was truly there for Virgil, no matter what was thrown at him.

  For the longest time, Virgil hadn't known what to think of the feeling, the warm fluffy feeling that filled his chest every time he saw Patton happy. There was plenty more feelings that rose in Virgil due to even just being friends with Patton, but that's what Virgil had noticed the most. Especially because he had never felt it before, which was actually why it took so long to realize his feelings. Having never cared for someone before, Virgil didn't know what it was like, especially not deeply caring for someone.

  "Virgil?" The voice was a quiet whisper, but it still made Virgil jump. He whipped around, turning to look at the person who had spoken. There stood Patton, who jumped as well at Virgil's sudden movement. Which Virgil actually found himself apologizing for. "Did you want to come with me and maybe get some hot cocoa or something?"

  "Uh, yeah, sure." Virgil said, after a moment of debating it with himself. He really didn't want to get up, he was quite comfortable, yet he made his way to his feet anyway. Of course, if it had been anyone else that asked, he would have turned them down. Virgil cringed at the realization, he was probably being too obvious when it comes to his feeling. He didn't want to be, for he felt like if he was it might weird Patton out and the happy go lucky man might stop being his friend. Virgil was willing to suffer in silence if it meant Patton could at least stay as his friend.

  "Are the other two asleep?" Virgil asked, wondering why Patton hadn't asked them to come along. He was sure Patton had been asleep, but if he was wrong maybe the other two were still up as well? But Roman would have jumped up at the mention of hot cocoa, for he was not the type of person who passed it up, ever.

  "Yup, they fell asleep about twenty minutes ago." Patton explained as he moved around the kitchen looking for the things that were needed for making hot cocoa. As he did so, Virgil moved to the counter before jumping up to sit on the surface of it.

  He was actually quite comfortable in Patton's house now. Well considering it has been three months that he had been living there, he should be at least a little bit comfortable. The amount of comfort he felt though, actually surprised him. But that probably had to do with the fact that not only Patton greeting him with open arms, but Patton's whole family did as well. Especially Patton's mother who had actually willingly driven all the way to where Virgil had been staying with his mother. Virgil couldn't express how grateful he was for the journey they made when they had no obligation to do so, they just did because they actually cared for him.