Ch. 5 • Confession

Jackson, MS. September 1943
Friday, 7:30 am

Paislee

"So are you gon' tell me who's jacket that really is?"

I stopped chewing on my frosted corn flakes and looked up at my mom. Her eyes were amused yet serious and I didn't know if I should tell. Yes, my mom was 'cool' but that didn't mean that I wasn't scared of her sometimes.

"It's Tommy's remember?" I said. My eyes averted to the television, playing the morning news. There was another riot and two lynchings. I shrugged halfheartedly.

"Paislee Margaret Miller." I turned back to Mama, my eyes wide with anxiousness. "I know when you're lying, you're my child. Just tell me,'I'm curious."

I played with my hands for a bit trying to avoid a reply. "Well, Yeah. I guess you could say that. I'm really sorry mama."

"Mhm, you're forgiven or whatever. Don't lie again, just tell me about the little rascal, I wanna' know about these boys in your life." I giggled, Deen wasn't quite the rascal but she didn't know that.

I continued eating my cornflakes and watching the news, my sisters coming down the stairs behind my dad. While I rode my bike, my dad took my sisters to school because they went at another time than I did. Though during the winter months I rode in the car and just got to school later. My parents could never afford to buy me my own car.

"Mornin' Paislee," Daddy greeted.

I smiled. "Good Mornin' daddy"

I said good morning to the twins before dumping my dirty cereal bowl in the sink. The sound of our doorbell alerted us of a visitor. I walked from the seat and headed for the door.

"I got it!" I called out before opening the door.

"Hello—Deen!" I covered my mouth to keep my voice at a minimum whisper. "What're doing here? Are you crazy? Cover your face up!"

"Just came to get my jacket, I think it's gonna' storm this afternoon," Deen said carelessly.

I punched his shoulder. "Be quiet!"

"Sorry. . ." He dragged.

"I could've just given it to you at school. My parents are here right now y'know. You don't even belong in this neighborhood, my neighbors may have seen you."

"Paislee calm down." He chuckled. I punched his shoulder again. If the heat would've seen me by now they would've been arrested me.

"This isn't funny. You can't just randomly come to my house. Do you know how bad this looks right now? You at my house?"

"I just came to get my jacket, geesh. Don't flip your wig now," He murmured.

I huffed and held up my pointer finger in his face. "Wait one second, don't make a sound."

He nodded and stuffed his hands in his pockets. Closing the door I stormed into the house. Frantically searching for the jacket in the living room, I finally found it. I whispered a quick hallelujah.

"Who's at the door, Pais?"

"J-Just the mailman. He's searching for a letter I think. He's a young one."

I scurried to the door and opened it, hastily shoving the jacket into Deen's hands. I looked up to him and saw a smirk plastered on his lips. I didn't quite get to look at him closely when I opened the door, but when I did it made me want to wipe the smug look off his dangerous—yet handsome—face.