Ch. 12 • SunDown Towns

Meridian, MS. October 1943
Friday 4:47 pm

Deen

I slumped in my seat as my head rested against the car window lazily. I watched the trees, houses, and buildings, and city lights pass us as we sped past the signs. Trying to catch an ample break from my parents arguing.

"Deen aren't you psyched to see your cousin?" My dad spoke.

"Yeah. . . for sure."

"Sure don't seem like it, son. You lightin' the tilt sign?"

I shrugged even though he probably couldn't see me. I wasn't lying, I was excited about seeing my cousin. I just kept it inside. I didn't mean for my attitude to seem this way.

My family and I were traveling back to our original home—Meridian, Mississippi. Though we were already in the city, we were traveling to my aunt and uncle's house. There, I would see my favorite, and only, cousin Leah. She was only a bit older than me at the age of twenty-two and was in her last year of college.

"I've just been in a ditch lately," I said.

"Well cheer up, bud." I hummed an incoherent response. "Because we're here! Hop out and get your things."

Looking out the window I saw my family sure enough. They were all sitting on their porch with wide smiles and open arms. My family and I were staying for the weekend and then they would stay at our house through the rest of the month of October. Which would be about two weeks.

"Deen!"

Leah squealed as she ran towards me. Engulfing me in a bone-crushing hug along with more squeals. Her brown-haired bangs swung near her forehead and her blue eyes shined as she smiled in my face.

"Oh boy, ain't you just grown from the last time I saw you. Lookin' more like a man every time," She gushed.

"Geez, thanks." I rolled my eyes playfully and shifted my suitcase from my right hand. "Can we get inside? It's a bit cool."

Leah nodded and I followed her into the house along with the rest of my family. I said my greetings to my aunt and uncle before heading up to Leah's old room. Plopping down on her couch, I kicked my feet up.

"So? How's life for my little cowboy?"

"Your little cowboy is doin' just fine, kind of," I said.

Leah frowned and sat up on her bed. Grabbing her radio and fobbing with the nobs until she got onto a station. Settling for a news station all we heard about was the war.

"As you know the Soviet Union is not of our country's concern now. We are struggling with the control of–"

"Let's not listen to any more of that sad stuff." She huffed and turned the radio to a music channel. "What do you mean?"

"Well, you promise to not bring this up?" She nodded and smirked. "It's about a friend. . .who's also a girl."

"I knew it. See, just by the way you were slumpin' to get out that car I knew. So tell me bud, what's she look like?" Leah held her chin in her palm and leaned forward.

"Gotta' classy chassis." I smirked while setting my hands behind my hand.

"Ew." Leah pretended to throw up. "I didn't need to know that. Tell me how she looks or how you met her"

"She's beautiful. Brown eyes, brunette, perfect smile, and laugh. Yeah, that's it," I said.

"I thought you liked girls with blue eyes?"