Ch. 21 • Freedom Meadows

Meridian, MS. November 1943
Saturday, 2:15 pm

Deen

It was a bright, sunny day with the perfect amount of crispness in the air. It was nearing close to Thanksgiving and I was more than grateful for the week that we had off of school. Thinking—letting my thoughts consume me—I stared out into the field. The tall, wheatgrass was swaying a bit and I smiled, thinking of Paislee and I running around here mindlessly. Pulling out a blanket and rolling around in the soft, lofty grass.

"Time to go," I murmured to myself. I couldn't stay in my home town forever, but I knew if the plan did go right then I would return in an hour or so. "Hopefully she'll like it."

In the car, I had mason jars full of sweet tea and a plate of chocolate chip and snickerdoodle cookies. I was thankful for the warmer weather the south brought us because I wanted this picnic to go smoothly. I was going all out, but when might be the next time I'll get to take a beautiful—but forbidden—girl out without the public wanting to roast our behinds.

It would take me about thirty minutes to get back to Jackson so I hopped in my car and started the engine. Ernest Tubb: I'm Walking The Floor Over You played quietly on the radio as I settled the picnic vittles that were in the passenger seat. The song had come out about two years ago but it was still a favorite in the south. You could catch it being played at any boss lounge or party.

Now, as I was nearing Jackson, I had to think of the lie that I was going to tell my mother when I got home. I was supposed to be grounded but my dad had let me slip out of the house. I knew that he knew where I was going. I was following my heart—even if it ended up badly.

° ° °
"Hi."

I watched the look in her eyes as I neared towards her. She was dressed perfectly. A baby blue dress covered with small floral prints was slipped on her body. A white shawl too. I watched as she looked at the end caps of the alley to see if we were going to get caught. We weren't and I would make sure of it.

"Hello to you too. How's your day?" I asked.

"Good, good. Yours?"

"Well, I am in front of you so I guess I'm peachy."

She giggled and lightly punched my shoulder. Her smile never left her lips as we stared at each other. I didn't mind that she knew I was observing her. She was too beautiful not to.

"Look at you, trying to apple butter me. I'm not that easy, country boy."

I chuckled and ran my fingers through my hand. With an outstretched hand, I lead her to our destination. She took my hand—no hesitation—and waited for me.

"We're going somewhere," I said. She raised an eyebrow and the carefree look dropped from her face. "Nobody will know. . . Or even see us."

"What? I don't know, Deen–"

"Shh. Just go with it. You ever think I would put you in danger?" She shook her head slowly. "Then hop in the car, keep your head down, and let's go. I want to give you that fun that you wanted, kit."

"I told you not to call me kitten," She said quietly.

"Sorry, let's go, please."

This time she walked to my car and slipped in the passenger side. Soon we were out in the roads, gassing the pedal like there was not anyone in sight. Going through Jackson was tricky though because at stoplights and pauses Paislee had to hide her face or bend down. We made it out the city though, and now we were officially in Meridian.