Ch. 34 • Best Day, Worst Luck

Jackson, MS. March 1944
Saturday, 12:00 pm

Paislee

I couldn't think of any reason that I even let my parents force me into what I was doing today. As usual, my parents knew what I needed and wanted in my life. So, of course, they took it upon themselves—mostly my mother—and decided that my life was in need of someone by the special name of Robert. So here I was, getting dressed for a nice lunch with Robert. Who was also going to be my new friend once he found out I was in close relations to his dearest girlfriend, Sheila.

Once I had on a simple dress, I sat in front of my vanity brushing my hair back. I had just recently gotten it pressed and Mama claimed that she really spent her good time to get my hair right. The hair on my head didn't really affect me much, but to Mama, it was another way of defining yourself to the world. So just as she instructed, I took the brush and brought it up and down my hair until it was smooth and neat. I tied a simple white and red, gingham-patterned headband around my head and stood to exit my room.

"Hey Mama and Daddy," I said as I walked into the kitchen where the twins were playing with paper dolls while Daddy was watching them as he sipped on steaming coffee.

"Hello sweetpea," Daddy responded. "You're still going out today right?"

"Well of course she is, why would she not?" Mama cut in. "He'll be coming shortly actually."

I shook my head. "No, I'm meeting him at the diner instead. I didn't want him courting me places." I turned to see Mama with an unreadable expression on her face. I wondered if she was surprised that I wasn't following her directions or the fact that she wouldn't get the joy of seeing Robert and I. "I called and said it was honestly a friendly lunch so he didn't have to bother to see me to the diner. Not much of a big deal."

"Well I mean it's simply just courteous but whatever floats your boat, babydoll."

My eyebrows furrowed slightly as the name seemed to float in the air of the kitchen. It was almost as if I expected Deen to peer out from behind a wall of the kitchen. Soon enough I averted my face back to a smile and walked over to the cabinet where I grabbed a glass for some water.

"Well I mean it's only right since we truly just met each other," I countered.

Mama just shrugged and continued to do her chores around the kitchen. The twins weren't making too much sound as they manipulated their dolls to dance around the wooden table. They seemed so content over the doll figures made of simple paper and decorated with clothes made of marker. I took a seat beside Pamela and listened in on the radio that was on the window seal of the kitchen. Typical music played throughout the speakers.

Daddy cleared his throat. "Shouldn't you be heading out Lee? Wouldn't want the poor boy to be waiting?"

"I suppose so. Gotta' beat feet." I stood and waved to the twins. "Bye y'all."

Giving a farewell to my parents, I accepted the small amount of cash that they gave me and started for the door. I had decided to throw on a simple jacket and ride my bike that had been hidden on the side of the house for quite some time. I hadn't been riding ever since my parents drove me to school—the result of them finding out about Deen. I dusted off the bike and set off toward the diner in the city square.

° ° °
"Finally get to settle down. . . Hi, Robert."

After seeing that the diner that was once before integrated was now segregated to only serving Whites, we had to simply walk across the street to another diner. The food looked the same and so did the people, but the fact that we had to be segregated made it feel something ten times worse.