Ch. 8• What More?

Jackson, MS. October 1943
Tuesday, 7:40 am

Deen

"Good morning, babydoll"

"Mornin' De."

I watched Paislee slip into the passenger seat of my care easily. Her smile brightened as she faced me and I made sure she was in before I started to drive around again.

"Y'know I wouldn't mind coming to drive you to school every day?" I smirked and gently squeezed her soft hand.

"Well, you're not my beau so you don't court me everywhere."

"I could be," I said underneath my breath.

Though I knew her automatic answer to my statement, I didn't mind pressing it more. I wasn't dumb so I knew the reasons why Paislee didn't think us together, friendship wise and all, was a good idea.

"You know we couldn't do anything. It's like fire and ice mixing." She smoothed a flyaway from her hair down. "I mean you're a flirt anyway. You could have any prissy-perfect-million-dollar-blondie that you'd like. It's like a hopeless romantic. I like where we're at. Just something like friends."

"I don't want some perfect girl." I used air quotations. "I want Paislee."

"With you?" She chuckled sarcastically. "That's silly, Deen. Think realistically, not with your head in the clouds."

"Don't have to remind me" she pulled her hand away from mine and stared out the window. "Who's to tell me who I can and can't go steady with? If I like someone then so be it."

"You barely know me," Paislee said quickly. She was just trying to make up excuses.

"I've known you for a month or so, and yeah that not much time, I'll admit that. If I say so myself, I'm pretty in touch with my feelings and I know what I feel."

"Oh gosh stop." She chuckled.

"So why should I have to wait some more months for a relationship that has already bloomed. Because it's shameful? Why should I have to sacrifice how I live to please other people? It's stupid, Lee."

I pulled into a spot where Paislee and I could wait for a few minutes with no one watching us and turned off the engine. Paislee was staring down at her hands solemnly. Her hair falling onto her face. I noticed that she curled the tips today. Brushing her hair from her face I lifted her chin up with ease and let my eyes wander against her face.

"Yeah, I know being together is dangerous and risky at times, but it's also fun and full of enjoyment. That's basically what life is: ups and downs."

"It's scary and I could end up with the heat or even get killed. I just wanna' have a simple friendship," She muttered and forced her chin back down.

"Stop putting your head down, Lee." She lifted it slowly and looked out the windshield. "Can I have your hand? No funny business."

She put her hand in mine and like a puzzle, we fit. Her hand was a bit smaller than mine, but our fingers still fit when we intertwined them. She started at our connected hands for a while silently.

"It's scary but somewhat refreshing that I know that I have you in my corner. They can't stop me from liking you a Paislee. Simple as that."

"They can't stop me from liking you. You're a great person, Deen." I raised my eyebrows and nodded my head slightly. "I like you and your personality, honestly. But the people in this city don't like me."

"The way you ignore me and roll your eyes makes me think different sometimes," I said sarcastically. "But I get it."

"Sorry, it's defense. Comes naturally."