Ch. 22 • Birthday Wishes Come True

Jackson, MS. December 1943
Next Monday, 7:38 am
Dec. 1

Paislee

After the long Thanksgiving break filled with food, family, and friends and the autumn season slowly drifting, I was going back to school. The holiday had given me ample time to catch up on my Z's and get that well-needed rest that I craved weeks before.

After the day Deen and I went on our nature excursion, I hadn't seen him except for in the grocery store. In which we snickered, hugged, and fooled around in the cereal aisle of the store. Almost getting caught and almost seeing some of his classmates. Imagine their reaction if they saw Deen kissing a colored girl on her cheek. . . As if. It all settled out thankfully. After I had grabbed the buttermilk for mama's cornbread and more cinnamon for her spice cake, I was on my way.

"Here you go, baby girl," Mama said. I nodded and looked ahead at breakfast before me. It was simple yet rare—especially with our ration stamps. A plate of biscuits and gravy sat before me with silver silverware next to it.

"Thanks, ma. I haven't had this in forever." I sighed.

"Yeah, Mrs. Baker down the street gave me some cream. Our stamps are starting to run low." I shook my head and began to eat my food quietly. Watching the TV as the news anchors talked about things that rarely interest me. "Hey, Paislee?"

"Ma'am?"

"How would you feel about Daddy not being able to pick you up after school?. . ."

I thought about it for a bit. The thought of the boys coming after me was still scary, but then I thought about my protection: Deen. He had been watching over me morning and afternoon and if the boys even looked like they were heading my way then Deen had it covered. All Deen had to do was give me that look and I knew that I was protected until my daddy's car pulled up.

Our relationship—though we weren't steady and couldn't do so—had been something enjoyable. The adrenaline and thrill that it brought only kept the two of us more interested. The fact that we had something so rare and something that was so sacred brought us closer. It was the most ironic thing. I had never thought that I would be in this position. When I found out Beverly's parents had a forbidden relationship it was shocking to me. I had only heard of those kinds of stories when the elderly ladies of my church were gossiping.

"I'll be fine, mama. I'm stronger now. I swear," I said.

"But. . . I just don't know Lee–"

"Mama don't worry. I'm good, very good."

She turned to look at me before kissing the top of my head. Turning, she returned to making a plate for the twins and fixing some coffee for daddy. They came down shortly from upstairs and starting their morning doings. Daddy sat before me drinking his coffee and reading the local newspaper.

"So Paislee. . . How's that boy doing? The one who brought you home. . That day" Daddy asked. He tended to tread lightly over the situation that happened earlier and I appreciated it.

"Oh, he's fine." My response was quick and short. I didn't need more information from being exposed. "Why do you ask?"

"No reason. Just thought of him this morning because we had seen his face so many times. Does he still bother you at school?"

"He never bothered me, but we don't talk to each other if that's what you're implying," I reassured him.

"Mm good. Needs to do his good deed and never return." Daddy sipped his coffee slowly before scoffing.