Chapter Thirteen - A Step Too Far

Ah, okay guys, I'm so sorry for not updating sooner. I wasn't able to write or upload anything on holiday because I had no Wi-Fi and we were just doing a lot, leaving me no time to update. I got back on Friday and I've just been really busy these past few days. Sunday I had to do some last minute shopping for my prom which was on Monday, and I met up with some friends who I haven't seen since last year on Tuesday.

On another note, were almost at 200 reads! I cannot thank you guys enough.

---

Jacob's POV

***

I let out a breath, pushing my hair from my eyes. I looked back over at the bed as I pulled up my boxers, quickly looking back at the doorway as I saw the small figure curled up, knees hugged to her chest and her whole body shaking.

I walked out after picking up my jeans, shutting the door behind me as I walked towards my bedroom. I slammed the door shut just after I heard the front door close and the voices of Mason and Ela echoing through the downstairs hall.

***

Mason's POV

***

I walked in through the front door and it was too quiet. Jacob had sent me out for a few groceries and Ela had come with me. We put the groceries on the kitchen table and Ela unpacked them while I walked upstairs, glancing over at Jacob's door as I'd heard it slam as I got back into the house. I then looked over at Lola's door and heard small, quiet sobs come from inside.

I pressed my lips together as I slowly opened the door.

"Lola? Can I come i-" I started, my eyes widening as I saw her curled up on the bed, nothing covering her naked body. "Shit." I muttered as I walked over to her, picking up the blanket that was screwed up in a ball at the end of the bed and carefully covered her with it.

That's why Jacob had sent me out, because he knew I'd stop him..

She looked up at me slowly as the blanket landed on her, her eyes glazed over with tears and fear. She wiped her cheeks as I gently set myself down next to her, but keeping a safe distance.

"I'm sorry I wasn't here.. I would've stopped him, you know that." I whispered and she nodded slowly.

"I-I don't know what I did wrong." She whimpered, flinching slightly as she sat up, hugging the blanket to her chest as she curled up her legs, looking up at me.

I slowly reached forward and caught a tear that fell, letting out a heavy sigh. "You didn't. Jacob's just.." I shrugged as I stood up. I gave her a weak smile before walking out of her room, quietly shutting her door.

***

Lola's POV

***

I curled back into my ball as Mason left, closing my eyes tight as I heard his footsteps fade out, possibly walking to Jacob's room. Mason would've stopped Jacob, and I think Ela would've at least tried to, that's why he sent them out, because he knew that they where the two people I trusted most in the house, and even that trust wasn't exactly strong. They worked for Jacob, but maybe not by choice. They were the two people who seemed to not want to be here but knew what Jacob was like. Maybe they were just here to protect me from Jacob, and Jacob somehow knew that.

***

Jacob's POV

***

"What?" I demanded as I looked over at whoever had just walked in. Mason, great.

"What did she do wrong, Jacob? What the hell did she do wrong?" He asked, his voice angry as he slowly walked closer, his hands slowly balling up into fists.

I smirked, trying to act more confident than I felt, knowing how strong Mason really was. "And why should I tell you?"

"Tell me, Jacob." He snarled, now only standing a few inches from me.

I took a step back, looking up at him. He smirked, able to sense the small amount of fear from me. "Why do you want to know?"

I flinched as he brought his hand to my throat, pushing me against the wall. He wasn't restricting my breathing, but I knew that if I said one more wrong, there'd be trouble.

"Do I need to repeat myself one more time?" He asked, a smug smile on his lips.

"No, Mason. But you don't even need to know. That's not your place." I said, rolling my eyes. I was about to speak again when I felt a strong fist make contact with my abdomen, causing a deep groan to fall from my lips. He then dropped me to the floor, his feet continuously making contact with the same stop he punched, his steel toe capped boots making it even more painful.

"It is my place, Jacob. Do you want to know why? Because I think she might be-" I blacked out from the pain before I could hear the rest of his sentence.

***

Mason 's POV

***

That's why I came here, because I knew Jacob was after Lola. I felt useless, I wasn't here when he was..

I looked down at Jacob, my jaw tightening as I saw him. His hands had been on her body only ten minutes ago, and she didn't want that. I ran my fingers through my cropped hair, noticing there was already large but faint purple bruising along his torso, mainly on his abdomen and ribs.

I needed to get Lola out, but I'd need to wait. I couldn't do it alone and I don't think she'd trust me to help her escape.

---

A h, sorry this chapter isn't too long, guys, and that it's really late. I'll try and make the next one longer and perhaps a little more exciting? I think this book is close to coming to an end, but I'll try and get at least another five chapters out of it, and perhaps I'll write a sequel, we'll just have to see how I end it.

Oh, and soon I'll be releasing a new book! Well, it's not really a book but I'll be writing short stories. I've written about half of the first one and I'll be uploading it on a day that I'm not uploading a chapter of this. Alrighty then. c:

-Jasmine