Chapter 4: Kill the Hysteria

"Okay!" yelled Wave, tightly hugging his parents because he was about to leave home for the Capital. "I'm off!"

"Are you sure you want to do this, dear?" asked his mother. "The Capital is different from what you're used to."

"Of course I'm sure. I'm positive this opportunity to work with the best of the Empire is what I need to become a top-ranking soldier. I have a debt to pay, after all."

"He'll be okay," chimed in his dad. "Just make sure you don't eat all your mother's cooking before you get there!"

"I know!" Wave patted his huge sack before he turned to walk out the door. "I'll make sure to write."

"Good luck!" said his dad while patting him on the shoulder.

"Make sure you find someone special," added his mom, winking. "Your father and I would like some grandchildren."

"Come on, Mom!" yelled Wave, who was embarrassed. He said his last goodbyes before finally exiting his peaceful village. Even though he would miss home, Wave was determined to make a name for himself in the Empire. With one more inhale of the fresh air, he marched off towards whatever waited for him.

VVV

It all seemed so simple back then...thought Wave, slowly walking through his decimated village, remembering the day he left.

It was like a nightmare while he walked through the village, looking at the corpses littered on the ground. For those whose faces were still recognizable, memories of the person would briefly fly through his mind. He could practically hear the screams of terror from the dead while he continued his steady pace through the area.

The disgusting sight made it abundantly clear whatever happened was recent. The bodies that weren't burnt didn't show any signs of decay yet. He could tell the villagers were murdered in multiple ways. There were signs of a few grisly methods: burning, decapitation, and dismemberment. Despite all of the ugly scenery, Wave kept walking to the place he wanted to see the most.

"This is despicable..." muttered Tatsumi while he and the dark-haired sisters walked through the village.

"This confirms the Empire must've wanted the Jaegers dead," stated Akame. "The ambush the other night along with this massacre means all of it was planned ahead of time."

"The prime minister?" voiced Tatsumi.

"It wouldn't be hard for him to set this up."

"But this is just...wrong. They just killed everyone and left the bodies here. What if somebody saw this?"

"They could blame it on the rebellion as well as bandits. As long as they're no surviving witnesses, it would be that person's word against the Empire. If we said anything, it'd be useless. We're just a bunch of murderers in public's the eyes..."

"Damn it..." Even though Tatsumi had seen several accounts of the Empire's cruelty already, it still frustrated him every time. Fighting rebellion soldiers that were ready to put their lives on the line was one thing, but killing innocent civilians was barbarous.

"To think they'd do this to people on their side," he said. "Is anything sacred to them...?"

"Where did Wave go?" asked Kurome, looking around.

"He's over there," answered Tatsumi, pointing to Wave in the distance. They sprinted to him while being careful not to step on any of the deceased. Wave was kneeling on the ground in front of a destroyed house; it was the house where Wave lived.

"Wave," began Kurome, "did you see your parents anywhere?" Wave slowly shook his head.

"That means some of the villagers could still be alive!" proclaimed Tatsumi. "Right, Akame?" He looked at Akame for some positive reinforcement, but the grim looks from the two sisters didn't give him any confidence.