Chapter 14: Kill the Titans III

The morning sun blazed down on Seryu and Akame while they walked back to the headquarters of Nocturne. It had been a month since the betrayed Teigu users had adopted that name. Chelsea had acquired a job that consisted of eliminating a small group of notorious killers—it was decided Akame and Seryu would be all that was needed. Everything went smoothly enough for the duo to quickly wrap things up and be on their way home in a day.

"It's certainly getting warmer," said Seryu, undoing some of the buttons on her favorite green coat, "right boy?" Koro lightly growled in her arms.

"We should be back by noon," informed Akame. "I'll be able to resume Kurome's rehabilitation today."

"The assistance you and Wave have been giving her is inspirational. Honestly, it makes me a bit envious."

"Why? If you needed it, we'd do our best to help you."

"It's just...I know the others grin and bear it, but I can tell there's still resentment. The same could be said for you, yes?"

"It's like I told you that night on the balcony: what happened can't be forgotten, but you must walk forward. I can't speak for them, but I feel they think the same. If there was a case where they didn't, I wouldn't allow unnecessary harm to come to you or anyone else."

Seryu quietly admired Akame's resolve, like she always did. It baffled her how someone that's been through the things she has could be so composed. Just a few months ago, they were after each other's heads, and now she was doing everything she could to help her.

"How do you do it Akame? You can go from being the feared master of Murasame to being a kind human being. I'm always afraid no matter how hard I try...I'll revert back to how I used to be."

"Is that what you think of me?" asked Akame, who stopped walking. "There's a reason I'm a perfect match for Murasame. I was prepared to cut down my own sister if I had to." Seryu felt a little shiver go through her body as Akame had a shadow cross her face. "I'm pretty screwed up too, you know?"

Seryu slowly blinked before she said, "But all of that was not your fault."

"Kurome's the one that deserves the excuse. When we were little, she was always the gentler sibling that never liked to fight. Her morals didn't become twisted until the drugs started. It's evident in how much trouble she's having with Yatsufusa now that she's healthy. Me, however...I've always been like this. There was never a single day I questioned why Murasame and I fit so well together."

The realization that Akame might not have entirely been a victim of circumstance gave Seryu a slightly different perspective of her. In some ways, this kind of life might be what she's best at. The only other person she thought might be more naturally gifted would be Esdeath.

"How do you control it, then?" asked Seryu.

"Try making up a word or a phrase. You can either think it or say it out loud. When you enter battle, do what needs to be done, do it without hesitation, and don't look back." Akame resumed walking while the auburn-haired agent thought on her words.

A phrase...

VVV

"It won't be easy topping the insanity of A-Block!" announced Una. "Still, the competitors of the B-Block will give it their best shot!"

Seryu scanned the arena, taking in the lively atmosphere. Many of the competitors were intimidating at a glance, but the former soldier knew better than to be afraid. She would have to compete with just her fists since an Imperial weapon like her tonfa guns would be too suspicious. The former Jaeger wouldn't be able to do half the things she could without her loyal partner Koro.