Chapter 6: Kill the Bad Blood

"Let's see," began Seryu, carefully scanning the ground, "the entrance should be around here."

"Are you sure about this?" questioned Run. "I don't remember being informed of a secret passage..."

"Captain Ogre told me about it—" She paused for a moment while she thought of her old mentor.

"You mean the twisted soldier that got his ass kicked by Tatsumi?" snickered Mine. "Oops, did I say that out loud?"

Seryu looked like she was about to launch after Mine until Lubbock stepped in. "Mine, you are seriously making things more difficult," he said.

Mine pouted while Run consulted Seryu. "Compose yourself. Now, continue what you were explaining."

With one last glare, Seryu resumed scanning the ground. "In case the palace would ever come under siege, there are two secret passages that lead to the forest-covered outskirts of the Capital, like where we are now."

"How come the Jaegers were never told about this?"

"Nobody uses them anymore. With the mighty duo of Lady Esdeath and the Great General Budo, the palace is impenetrable."

"Have you seen them for yourself?" asked Lubbock while scratching his head. "I mean, the last thing we need is to be out here for hours looking—"

"Here it is," said Seryu, lifting up some bushes to reveal two stone doors implanted into the ground. She used her artificially designed arms, given to her by Dr. Stylish, to forcibly open them and reveal a dark underground passage.

"Never mind."

"I guess all that's left is for you all to wait for nightfall," said Run.

"Are you not accompanying us?" asked Seryu.

"Like I said before, I have some business of my own to take care of in the Capital. When I'm done, I'll come back here and wait. Be safe."

"Hold on!" yelled Mine. "How do we know you're not up to something?"

"That's easy," began Run cracking a foreboding smile towards Mine, which made her shiver, "you don't."

"...Creep."

"Don't worry. I promise that all I'm looking for is information on our predicament. I have nothing to gain by compromising everyone. If there's nothing else..." Run activated Mastema before flying high into the sky towards the Capital.

"So..." muttered Lubbock, standing in between Mine and Seryu, who were giving each other hateful looks. "Anybody got cards?"

VVV

The few hours that passed after Run's departure felt like days to Lubbock, who was forcibly put in the awkward position of playing mediator between Mine and Seryu. Since the thick forest allowed them to stay hidden, they opted to sit down and rest until the time was right. The two mortal enemies sat exactly fifty yards from each other while Lubbock stayed in the middle. If he could choose a metaphor to describe it, he'd say it was like a two-headed Danger Beast trying to bite its own head off.

Forget the fact we're in a terrible position, thought Lubbock, face-palming. If we stay like this the whole time, the mission is going to be a disaster. Damn that guy for leaving me to deal with this!

Lubbock looked over to see Mine polishing her beloved Pumpkin, and Seryu staring off into the distance while holding Koro. "Here goes nothing, I guess..." Lubbock walked gingerly up to Mine, trying to think of something to say.

"If you're going to tell me to get along with that psychotic girl, then forget it, Lub."

"Don't you think you're being a little stubborn?"