Chapter 11: Kill the Qualifications

Honest didn't know the word to describe the atmosphere while he stood a few feet away from Esdeath. For months now, his invincible general had been bedridden due to an unknown illness she contracted. Even though she was still alive, Honest was still greatly worried due to her refusal to accept any assistance from the doctors.

"Do you think I'm responsible for what happened?" asked Honest.

"With my Jaegers out of the way, you could let your son's unit do whatever they pleased in the Capital," she answered with her back facing him. "Perhaps, you wanted a group who would do what you said without question? Or maybe...you were afraid of what would happen if my team learned of your true nature?"

"...I'm not here to discuss this. Why are you refusing treatment?"

"I don't require your medicines to help me survive. I've lived this long on my own, and that's how I prefer to have it."

Honest sighed before he said, "This isn't about strength. Do you understand the situation you're in?"

"Of course I do..." Esdeath slightly turned her head, allowing Honest to see her devious smile. "Imagine if I overcome this severe debilitation through sheer willpower."

Honest closed his eyes and turned to walk out the room. He knew further argument wouldn't do any good. Whenever Esdeath had that look, there was no convincing her. There was one more thing that was bothering him, however.

"Do you hold a grudge because of what happened to your subordinates?" It was a question that had been on his mind for a while. He doubted Esdeath really cared, but it sent shivers down his spine at the thought of her turning against him.

"I'm on the side that will best fulfill my desire for battle. The Empire still gives me the best chance. However, you've done a bad job of handling Nocturne. You've let them gain momentum and confidence. It's only a matter of time before they come for you. My regret is that I might not be able to see how it turns out."

With those final words, Honest left Esdeath alone on her balcony. She gripped her chest as the pain continued.

To think something like this is trying to get the better of me... After the pain subsided, she thought about a certain brown-haired boy. I wonder where you are right now...Tatsumi.

VVV

Back at Nocturne's headquarters, everyone in attendance was stunned to hear Wave's sudden demand to invade the Capital. As stunning as the proclamation was, it wasn't surprising Wave wanted to take the Capital because he made it his biggest goal since day one.

"You know we can't do that," replied Chelsea, who didn't bother to give the matter much thought. "If we get ahead of ourselves—"

"I know that!" he yelled while looking down. "Haven't you seen what we've been able to do in half a year? People are afraid of us."

"Don't confuse fear with attentiveness," added Akame. "In the end, we're still up against an army. Fear won't help us win against the Capital's forces."

"But this is the perfect chance to strike. We still don't know what happened to Lady Esdeath, and General Budo is somewhere in the South. What better chance is there to attack then when both of their generals are gone?"

"I want to have your back on this, but..." said Tatsumi, looking indifferent. He knew Wave was undoubtedly suffering from what happened to his village, and he had no qualms about helping him carry out his revenge. Still, attacking the Capital right now seemed like too risky a gamble.

"I understand your feelings, Wave," added Seryu. "I, too, was obsessed with infiltrating the Capital after learning about the possibility of their treachery. As a result of my rash actions, one of us died..."