Chapter 7

DANS POV

I jolted awake, rubbing my eyes.

Did I just dream Skyping Phil?

I felt my eyes prick with tears as I realised it was all just a dream.
Phil never Skyped me.
Why would he want to anyway?

I sighed, wiping my eyes which were already tearful and reached out to grab my laptop.

I flipped open the lid and clicked on my notifications, hoping for something to brighten my mood.

1 Skype message.

I sighed, I guess one message will do.

AmazingPhil: Hi, I'm glad we got to talk. It was nice getting to know you more! Maybe we can chat again today?

My mouth was left agape.

It wasn't a dream?
Holy shit

Phil fucking Lester wants to get to know me more?

I frantically started typing, overwhelmed that he texted me.

Sure! I'm free all day lol

I hesitated for a second, making sure it didn't sound too weird, before clicking send and slamming my laptop lid down, silently screaming.

"Daniel!" A high pitched voice screeched from downstairs.
I rolled my eyes, recognising it as my mums voice.

"What!" I bellowed back.

No response.
I sighed loudly and grabbed my phone, storming out my room and down the stairs.

My mum appeared in front of me as I got downstairs and raised her eyebrows, "Your father and I are going out tonight with the neighbours, you're babysitting Jamie." She told me.

I groaned out loud.
Jamie was the most bratty, irritating kid I'd ever come across.
He was seven, but had a massive attitude and ego.
He thought he ran the world.

"Shut up, stop complaining and get on with it. I'm not sure what time we'll be back so don't wait up, put Jamie to bed at eight."

I exhaled loudly and nodded, "Yeah alright, whatever."

She shook her head, muttering something about me being selfish and walked off.

I bit my lip, holding in the insults I wanted to scream at her, and walked over to the sofa, sitting and waiting for that stupid kid to arrive.

Not before long, I could hear his whiny, high pitched voice behind the front door.
My parents clasped their hands together, "That will be them!" My mother gasped, excitedly running towards the door.

I rolled my eyes for what seemed like the hundredth time in the past hour and laid back on my couch, closing my eyes gently.

How I was going to get through the rest of the day, I have no idea.

"Hi dan" Jaime grinned, walking round the side of the couch and sitting next to me.

"Hi Jamie." I mumbled.
"So, I was playing football in the garden with my friend this morning and I-"
"No offence, but I really don't care Okay?" I told him, walking upstairs.

I jogged up each step until I reached the top of the stairs, strolling down the hallway and into my room.

Jamie says the same thing ever time I have to babysit.
It's always on the lines of:
"I played football with my friends earlier and I beat them all.. again."
Or
"My teacher tells me I'm her favourite"
He goes on and on and on, and maybe I'm just being a grumpy teenager, but it pisses me off so much.

I flipped open my laptop and went to skype to see if Phil had replied.
I smiled to myself, that sounds weird to think about.

Notifications pinged through:
6 messages from AmazingPhil
2 Missed Calls

I grinned, feeling overwhelmed that he had bothered to try and contact me so much in the past hour.

I read through the messages which read

Cool! So am I, my parents are out so I have nothing to do lol

Hi dan, just checking to see if you're still free to talk

Dan?

Hi

Wait, brb I need a snack.

I'm back!

I giggled slightly and began typing,

Hiya, sorry my mum called me and asked me to baby sit my bratty neighbour, but I'm free now lol.

I sat back and waited for him to reply, nervously playing with my fingers.

Haha, did you just leave them on their own?

I laughed quietly to myself.
Yup, he can look after himself.

Phil and I talked for the rest of the night until the sky was pitch black and the only lights around were the moon and the stars.

I checked the time to make sure I hadn't missed Jamie's bedtime.

11.30pm

"Shit!" I yelled, running downstairs, tripping at the bottom step and stumbling into the sofa where Jamie was sat watching tv.

"Goddamn it, Jamie go to bed!" I exclaimed.

He smirked, "You're gunna get so told off."

"Shit, Jamie don't say anything, please!" I begged.
He just shrugged and skipped off into the guest bedroom, leaving me panting, out of breath from running down the stairs.

I sprinted back up the stairs and launched myself on my bed, continuing my conversation with Phil.
I lay back on my bed, feeling like this was all a dream.
Despite the irritating Kid in the room next door, everything felt fine at the moment.
Better than fine in fact.

Things felt amazing.