Chapter 32 - Layers

A/N: Possible mentions of physical harm. If you are easily triggered, please skip this chapter now. Thank you.

***

Rae

I was so excited to tell Sebastian about my day at work that I almost missed my stop. Luckily, the usual people I rode with in the bus tapped me on the shoulder to remind me that we reached our get off point.

I'd already made a few acquaintances around the neighbourhood where Sebastian's apartment complex was located and was greeting some of them as I passed. Most of them already knew where I lived, but none dared ask why a foreigner was shacking up with Sebastian Stan.

Taking a peek at my watch, I realize it was almost dinner time and I hoped my man was whipping out the pasta I'd prepared that morning that I told him was to be our dinner. I pushed the number to his floor and already had a small grin on my face in anticipation of seeing Sebastian after a long day at work. The grin turned into a frown when I already heard his voice two doors down. I decided to enter the pad quietly as his voice grew louder. My heart sank when I heard what he was saying.

"Am I okay?! Goddammit man, we're gonna be spending the holidays away AGAIN! And I'm not gonna be here for Rae's birthday, so am I okay? Fucking hell I'm not! GOD!!!"

My chest constricted at the thought. It was bad enough that I knew this day was coming, but it was even worse when he wouldn't be here for all the important holidays of the year, especially my first birthday in the US. Without him. I tried not to cry and instead, I quietly set my bag down on the sofa and padded quietly to the kitchen and hugged him from behind. I murmur things I knew would calm him down when he was upset and he ended his phone call and put the phone down, his hands then flying to mine.

"How long will it be this time?" I asked, my voice small.

"Six fucking months," he says angrily and I knew I had to stay calm, not wanting to agitate him further. "Your first birthday and Christmas holidays with me and I won't even be here. God I am just so upset right now."

Sebastian turns around so he can give me a proper hug. I lead us to the couch so we could talk about it a little further. He says he's going to be here until the 15th of the month, which meant we'd still be able to celebrate his birthday together on the 13th. Then he'll be off to wherever in the world.

"We'll make it work. We always do," he says to me, his voice determined and sure. I believed him with everything I have, after all, we were two of the hardest working people I know. If my love says we'll make it work, then we will.

***

"Hey Chubby Dumpling, can I steal your girl for a bit? We got some major catching up to do," Chris asks Sebastian while he set the remaining empty dishes in the sink. Sebastian gives me a light peck on the lips as he pushes me towards the direction of the living room where Chris followed.

"Steal away," he responds. "I'll finish cleaning up here. Would you like some beer after I finish?"

"YES!" Chris and I say in unison.

I drop to the couch and Chris follows suit. He puts an arm around my shoulder and I nuzzle to it, enjoying his warmth. I really was happy he was here. He was a good distraction from the upsetting events of yesterday.

"I won't ask how you are because I know you're not okay."

"Chris..." I began to whine, but he cut me off.

"Tell me exactly what you're feeling, Raezelle," Chris demands, using his best Steve Rogers voice on me.

"That's not fair," I say. "How dare you Steve Rogers me?!"