Chapter 46 - The Call and the Nightmare

A/N: Hello there! Now that The Other Side is done, I should be able to shift some more focus on this one and finish it as well in about 3 to 6 chapters. You still with me? 

***

Rae

"So," Chris regards me with a curious look. He crosses his bulging arms over his chest before leaning on his elbows over the counter.

"Yes, Evans?"

He chuckles and shakes his head. "I haven't said anything yet?"

"Well then, out with it!" I say with a tiny squeal and smile back at him. It's so hard to be in a bad mood with Chris. He always knows how to make me smile effortlessly.

"Well, for starters I am glad all 3 of you are safe--Seb, you and the baby," he begins. "Which gives me the opportunity to ask---how did that knucklehead propose?"

My chest blooms with a happiness upon remembering how Sebastian asked me. I tell Chris all about it and he nods his approval.

"I'm glad he kept it straight and simple. He was stressing about it so much a couple.of nights before he left."

"Why?" My forehead creased in curiosity.

"He told me about what you guys last talked about and he was feeling shitty about it. Said he felt like he screwed up again and thought he could make it up by putting a ring on your finger. He's been thinking about it for some time as well. I helped him buy the ring," Chris ended with a smirk.

"Oh so you knew?"

"Yes ma'am!" he says proudly. "You know I couldn't let him pick it by himself!"

"Yeah well, he could have just tied my finger with a string and I'd still say yes," I say back with a grin.

"Accident and scare notwithstanding, you look really happy. Seb does too. I've never seen him this content to be in a relationship," Chris says contemplatively. "At least in the 10 or so years I've known him."

I look at Chris curiously. "What do you mean?"

"Well," Chris grunted lightly. "Margarita always made him feel on edge for some reason. Sure, they were happy together, but I can feel something else there that made me feel slightly uncomfortable whenever I see them together. You already know how that story ended."

I shuddered with the recollection of what happened with that ex. I shake it off and tell Chris that it had left me a bitter taste in the mouth.

"Yeah, I agree, it's in the past and what matters is you guys, engaged! Speaking of your fiancé..."

"Yeah," I gingerly turn around to get off the chair. Chris is soon beside me to help me down. "What's taking him so long?"

We both make our way to the living room and find Seb talking to what looked like two policemen. My blood ran cold as to why they were here in our home. I grip Chris' wrists tightly as he stayed beside me until we reached my fiancé at the door. He turns around with a slightly worried look.

"Seb, honey, what's going on? How can we help you, officers?"

Seb reaches for my arm. "Rae, I don't think--"

I grab his hand instead and pull him to give space for the officers to pass. "It's okay, let's just...come in, please."

Sebastian drops and shakes his head after everything the police officers tell us. Apparently someone was trying to scare me off for something that the police were still trying to figure out. I told them I was an expat from the Philippines and that a job brought me to the US. I also had to explain the circumstances of me living with Sebastian, as they were wanting to make sure no detail was left out. As sickening to me as that sounds, I had to; I was more scared for the safety of the life growing inside me than of my own.