Chapter 36 - Unexpected

Rae

"What is it?"

The way his eyes shone with unshed tears told me there was something that was bothering him and it had been eating at him that he was a having a hard time telling me. We only had a few days before he leaves and I don't want him keeping things from me, especially with the knowledge of what happened the last time he tried it.

"Baby, tell me, please," I say pleadingly. I couldn't stand seeing him torn up about something and not being able to help him or at least offer words to ease his worry.

Sebastian opens his mouth to finally say something but he instead closes the gap between us again for a deep kiss that had my toes curling in pleasure, leaving us both breathless when I decided to pull away. As dizzying as his kisses might be, I just wouldn't be able to let this go, whatever it was eating away at him.

"Talk," I say commandingly. "We're not doing anything further if you don't tell me what's bothering you."

"Fuck," he mutters softly under his breath. "I'm scared, Rae."

I scrunch my forehead at this. "Scared of what?"

"Baby, six months is a long time to be away, and this isn't the only time I'll be gone for filming or other projects. What if you decide that being a girlfriend of a working actor isn't for you? What if you get tired of...me?"

I scoff and slap him on the shoulder, earning me a raised eyebrow.

"Ouch?" he says while he rubbed his shoulder. I saw my hand left a mark but I didn't care. He could handle it.

"God! You're such a dumbass! I mean, your mouth is talented and all, but jeez, sometimes you let it think for you instead of your brain. That is the stupidest, most preposterous thing I've ever heard."

He didn't say anything in response and tried to avoid my gaze instead.

"Eyes on me, mister."

I honestly didn't know whether to feel disappointed, offended or saddened by the fact that Sebastian had even thought of me leaving him eventually because of his career. I let out a deep breath; these last few days have been proving to be emotionally exhausting. If it was going to be this way every instance he has to be gone for a long time, we definitely need to figure some things out. We seriously shouldn't be having to deal with these every time.

Feeling like the room was suffocating me, I sit up and cover myself up with the sheets and bury my face into my knees. Sebastian was up and sitting beside me right away, stroking my back and kissing my shoulder.

"I'm sorry," he mumbles quietly, sounding like a kid. "I didn't mean to upset you."

I lift my head up and look at his direction. "Yes, yes, upset is the word. I mean, why would you even think that?!" I tried to keep my voice steady.

"I don't know, okay?" he says exasperatedly, dropping his forehead on my bare shoulder. His hair tickles me, but I honestly couldn't give a shit about it at the moment. "It's just...you're building your life here what with the magazine taking off successfully and stuff, you know? I couldn't just, like, ask you to fly out to come visit me in some country where I'm at and expect you to just drop work and agree."

Okay, that is ridiculous. Where the hell is he picking up these silly ideas anyway? Nope, I didn't want to answer that.

"But that's what your assistant and my assistant are for! There's a thing called scheduling, Sebastian and making them work."