Chapter 9

They had reached Suna within the next four days.

However, the group's status hadn't gotten any better throughout that time frame.

Akira had refused to speak to Shizuka unless completely necessary. He ignored Ume as well, but not as much as the former.

Shizuka focused solely on the child and occassionally anyone else who wanted to hold the child, which was mostly Daisuke.

Aoi had yet to speak to Daisuke, much to his confusion. She'd been off ever since that night.

Only Aki and Hikari had managed to keep themselves together.

Barely.

Hikari was only worried about finishing the mission.

Pretty much everything was falling apart.

"Ha! We're finally here!" Hikari cheered.

The grass around them had finally become sand, meaning Suna was close by.

"Looks like you're almost home Tiny." Daisuke said, letting the baby tug at his finger.

The group had nicknamed the child Tiny after realizing they had no idea what his name was. Currently, he was wide awake and babbling happily in the arms of Shizuka.

The two ninja had stood extremely close to one another due to the baby's preference of them as substitute parents.

This did not bode well for Akira and Aoi.

"L-Let's keep moving!" Ume said.

"Agreed. We should be there very soon." Aki nodded.

The group continued on their way but their silence was filled with heavy tension.

After a few minutes, the poor water ninja could no longer take it.

"So... um... Daisuke, what did you mean when you said Shizuka and you grew up together?" Hikari asked, trying to break the ice.

Daisuke looked at Shizuka, who nodded silently.

"We both lived at the orphanage as kids." He said.

"Oh..."

"Don't feel bad for asking Hikari. My parents died a long time ago. Well before I could remember what they look like." He said.

She turned to Shizuka.

"You too?"

To her surprise, she shook her head no.

"Shizuka's parents put her in the orphanage to stop her from getting sucked into the Hyuga clan." Akira muttered.

Shizuka whipped around and glared at him.

The sparks between them were almost visible.

"What do you-" Hikari began.

"Hey look! We're here!" Ume yelled.

Hikari blinked.

She hadn't realized they'd walked so far. Suddenly, excitement surged through her.

"We made it to Suna!"

She bounced up and down cheerfully. Aoi chuckled at her antics. Seeing her so happy lifted her spirits momentarily. Turning back to see Daisuke besides Shizuka lowered them again.

It was so dumb of her to be jealous of Shizuka of all people, but here she was.

"Aoi?"

She looked up and there he was. The man of her dreams standing there, staring down at her. He reached for her arm gently.