Chapter 14

"The Tsuki clan is one riddled with prejudice," Umiko said.

Hikari raised a brow at her.

"Have you noticed it? All the servants have white and our family has blue."

"That wasn't just a coincidence then..." Hikari mumbled.

Umiko shook her head.

"I'm afraid not."

Hikari was at a loss for a moment.

"Why? Why does something as ridiculous as hair color matter?" She asked.

"You don't remember the story so I should explain from the beginning." 

The Tsuki clan wasn't always like this...

Thousands of years ago, there were two clans that lived in harmony.

The Haru clan, who worshipped the dragon of the sun, and the Tsuki clan, who worshipped the dragon of the moon.

The clans were named after the dragons they worshipped. The Haru clan loved peace and excelled in craftsmanship and literacy, however, when needed they did have good survival skills. The Tsuki clan loved peace as well, but they enjoyed much more rigorous activities. They loved battle and to spar and train. Many of their residents, even children, were raised in how to wield a bow or sword, rather than to read and write.

Regardless, both clans coexisted and lived happily as neighbors.

Hikari turned to face her.

"Then what happened."

"The dragons... ran into a turmoil."

The dragons both clans worshipped fell into a heated battle. Haru, the dragon of the Sun, found the night pointless and wished to dispel it from the world. Tsuki, the dragon of the Moon, argued he'd lose all his power if Haru made the world fall into a never-ending day. Both dragons called the other selfish, and thus started a war.

Neither dragon could control the shifting of the Sun and the Moon passively. They needed the power of both to fully stop a phase of the day.

At first, the two clans were not involved in the war. 

Both Haru and Tsuki had agreed to keep their followers out of their battles.

They were humans, and they could not defend or fight as all-powerful dragons could. 

But as Tsuki began to lose his power, he passed on all the strength he had left to his worshippers.

He begged them to fight back and not let him fade into obscurity.

He broke the truce and Hell broke out.

Our clan took to arms and massacred much of the Haru clan.

Men. Women. Children. Elderly. It didn't matter.

Their god had asked them for help. A dragon had asked mere humans for help. They could not abandon their God after all he had done for them, so they did not question their fight. They murdered and pillaged, killing in the name of Tsuki.

When Haru herself heard about the massacres, she came to the human realm to fight against the humans who dared to kill her followers.

However, Haru made a fatal mistake.

By the time she arrived in the human realm, the sun had already sunk below the horizon. 

The moon was out and full on that fateful day.