Chapter Eleven - Swimming (The Finals)

Julia's POV

December 2, 2016

The night after Kat fell asleep next to me, she remained mute for almost a whole week after. I didn't know what happened, but then I figured it out, nights later.

She had fallen asleep once again, face blotchy and red, and you could tell her eyes were puffy even when they were closed. She'd been dreaming - and all I had heard was, "Jackson, don't leave me," coming out of her mouth softly. My dad and Elisha tried to get her to come out of her room, too. And I think my dad heard her, too. He was the one who saw it all happen.

It was about a year ago, when we lived in Maryland. Sophomore year, for the two of us. Kathlyn's best friend growing up, Jackson Michaels, had gotten diagnosed with stage Four Cancer. Leukemia. Kat spent almost every day with him, since they were in Second Grade. She loved him and he loved her, and I knew they were going to get married, but then, when he started losing his hair, I know he didn't have long.

After he died, Kat's mind repressed any memories of his death. When she went to someone for help, they said that the only way for her to remember what happened was for her to experience something strong to pull it back, like some kind of act that could connect to those memories to bring it back. Or, she would have to take years of therapy to slowly bring it back. But I knew that someone yanked those out of her. And I was going to kill them.

- - -

Today were the Finals. My last chance to show what I had in swimming for this year. English bore on and on as my stomach felt like it was rising higher and higher into my chest. "You okay?" I looked over, and it was Ethan, whispering to me as our teacher read Hamlet. I nodded quickly, popping my knuckles, and tapping my desk nervously. "You're kinda pale," he lays his head on his desk lazily, "Finals?" I nod again, this time more anxious and tense. "Well, if you want me to come, I'll come."

"Sure, Dolan. It'd be nice for someone to yell some sense into me before my face hits the water," I chuckle softly, and breath in deeply. Ethan runs a hand through his hair and I look away, feeling his gaze on me. I feel my cheeks turn red and I think to myself, Why is he being so nice to me?

~Kathlyn's POV~

I feel numb, and trapped inside. The bells rings while I'm seated at my desk, and it feels like it's only been a few seconds since I walked into the classroom. I still push myself up and walk out the door, leaving Grayson in the crowded room. "Kat!" he yells from the back of the hallway, and I shove myself through dozens of people who are staring at me, and off to the side I see Tallia and Addison snicker. "Kat!" Grayson runs through more people, but my smaller frame slips through the crowd more easily than his, and I walk out of his sight.

Later on in the day, when I'm seated in the courtyard waiting for Julia's Finals to start, I see Grayson's tall figure once again walking towards me. I look at his charmingly handsome face, but then I see his replace it. I stand up to walk away, but it's too late. His hand grabs my shoulder, and my hair whips around my face from the cold wind. Snowflakes fall onto Grayson's eyelashes, and they pepper my hair, too. "Kat, why have you been avoiding me?" Grayson asks, his hand still on my shoulder.

"Let me go," I say, looking at my feet.

"Kat, I need to know what's going on."

"Let me go," I repeat. His hand doesn't budge.

"Please, tell me. You haven't been acting alright for a whole week. I wanted to let you cool off, but you don't seem to be getting better. Tell me."

"I can't d-do this," I say, and Grayson looks confused. All I remember are those messages I got. All of those hate comments. "U-us. I can't be with you anymore." Grayson's hand falls to side. "I-I'm sorry." I turn and walk away, leaving him in the cold.

~Julia's POV~

"JULIA HOLLIS TAKES HOME THE GOLD!" booms a deep voice over the intercom. I laugh as my coach, Coach June hugs me.

"Fantastic, Hollis!" she says, and I feel an overwhelming sense of joy course through my veins. She's never said that to anyone before. Never.

Once I'm dressed I meet back with my family, and Ethan's there, standing beside Kat. Elisha gives me a hug, and everyone else follows. I smile at Ethan and say, "Oh, come on," and I pull him into a hug, which even I wasn't expecting, and I did it myself. Ethan's arms wrap around my waist, sending a shiver down my spine. He awkwardly avoids eye contact with me, and I do the same, regretting the choice I made.

HELLO EVERYONE! Sorry, that was kinda aggressive, haha! I'm just really happy right now, idk why? But hey, I won't take it for granted. Anyway, how's you day been? Mine's been good. I slept a lot.  I don't have much else to say, so here's the QOTD!

Question #11 is.... What's the most recent book you've read?

The most recent book I read that I completed was The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (very sad btw) and now I'm currently reading Reached, by Ally Condie :) Alright, well have a good day/night wherever you are, you guys! Bye!

-Tashi :P