Chapter 9

[ IX ] Chapter 9

        I swallow nervously as Aro raises a brow. He straightened himself after staring at me blankly for a moment or two. "Be my guest." He hummed, motioning to the quivering human behind me. Shit Alice, hurry. I've made a decision.

        "Bella will become one of us. I've seen it." Alice suddenly whispers, interrupting what I was about to do. I almost sighed in relief. Aro motioned for Demetri to release her and the pixie placed her hand in the king's. Several seconds later, Aro inhaled deeply as if he suffered a blow to the gut.

        "Go now. . ." He hisses, concealing his displeasure. "And make your preparations. Miss Genevieve will be staying with us it seems." Wait whatWhy? "I've seen that it is someone else who will change Isabella, therefore you have no cause to go back to Washington." Aro explains, almost reading my shocked expression.

        I hardly register Felix taking my arm while I looked at Alice with a resigned look. She shook her head and her eyes brimmed with tears. Edward was staring at me blankly and use my free hand to flip him off, mentally cursing at him in different languages.

        Demetri shoved the Cullens in front of him. "I'll keep in contact with you, Genevieve, I promise!" Alice half-sobs as she was forced out of the Throne Room. Well. I slump against Felix, emotionally spent. That was entertaining.

        Silence reigns the room as I rub my forehead. "Felix, please show Miss Genevieve to a vacant room in the West Wing." Aro said gently, sitting back down. "I am sure you will like staying here with us." I sighed as I straightened myself. I refuse to let them see me in a weak state of mind.

        When the burly vampire opened the large doors, I walked through them with my head held high. There'll be enough time for dry-sobbing later.

        As we walked down the cold halls, Felix left me alone so I was perfectly fine in staying in my thoughts. Which they strayed to Rose, and I wondered if I would ever hear her bitchy voice complaining to me about everything. We are—were— besties. Ever since I joined the Cullen Coven, I've never had any social life, but then meeting Rosalie Hale was like a slap to the face. Literally.

        I smile as I reminisce the time we met.

        I gaped at her in shock as she stood there with her hands on her hips. She just slapped me. On the cheek. Oh I hope it doesn't leave grey marks. "You need to get out more. Come."

        "But"

        "No buts. I swear to god, you're the most suffocating person on the planet!"

        I managed a small smile and she grinned. "There, that's an improvement. Now let me see more by the time we come back."

        I snorted. I remember that day, oh she spent almost all of Carlisle's money. He was so pissed but he forgave her when he got an unexpected present; Esme plus lace. I won't say anymore than that. Rose and I became reaaaal close after that and in turn, I became more outgoing. No more Hermit Genevieve, it was Bitchy Genevieve.

        "We are here." Felix's deep voice rumbled beside me. I looked up and saw large ornate doors. Reaching for the handle, he opened the foreboding doors for me. Such a gentleman. I roll my eyes at the irony and walk in. Silk and satin were everywhere, on the bed, as curtains, the pillows, even through the closet I see silk. God, these people are insane. "The Masters will summon you if they need to speak with you."

        "Felix," I call hesitantly. He looks up at me with a blank face, his hand on the door handle. "I'm sorry for. . ." I winced, it wasn't in my usual habit that I apologize. "Alejandro."

        "It is of no consequence, Genevieve. He wouldn't have made Aro's expectations." The burly vampire said simply. With that said, he exits and I'm left to this beautiful room. Alone. With nothing to do. 

        I take out my BlackBerry and I was suddenly grateful that I had charged it before coming. It was at 96% so I was good to go if I saved the battery. Suddenly the screen changed and it started to buzz as Alice's name flashed across the screen. Sighing, I clicked yes to the call and held it up to my ear as I sat down on a chair.

        "Oh God, I'm so sorry Genevieve." She sobbed through the phone.

        "It's fine, Alice." I said, exasperated. I was still overwhelmed with what happened in the last twenty-four hours.

        "I'll talk with Carlisle and maybe he'll have an idea of how to get you back." The pixie sniffled. The background noises through the phone told me that they were on a car to the airport.

        "No. Don't. They'll kill you all and I don't like being treated as the damsel in distress." 

        "But—"

        "Alice. I said no. It useless, the Volturi is too powerful for you guys. Especially if they have Jane and Alec." Absentmindedly, I played with the bell on my choker. It sang a beautiful tune over and over again.

        "Genevieve. . ." She whispered, remorse leaking through the phone and I swallowed the lump creating in my throat.

        "Alice." I hung up.

        "What a very heart-felt moment." A sardonic voice rumbled behind me. I stood and whirled around, tense again. Caius. Oh shit.

        "What do you want?" I mutter, slipping the phone into my back pocket.

        Caius walked slowly, yet gracefully, to the bed. He skimmed his fingers across the red silk sheets, seemingly in deep thought. But I wouldn't fall victim to his relaxed form. He could tear my head off in a second if he wanted to. But, oh Lord, this man is perfect.

        He had shed his cloak and now he wore a black suit with a red dress shirt. I could see the toned muscles in his back shifting as he continued to stroke the sheets and I had to avert my eyes to keep from staring. "I want nothing." He finally answers. "You are staying in my wing of the castle so I thought to drop by to see if you were doing anything that I didn't approve of."

        His shoes clacked against the marble before it was muffled by the carpet as he stepped onto it. I could feel his presence, a dominating feeling and I almost shrank back in reaction. "It is only polite to look at the person who is speaking to you, Miss Genevieve." His voice held irritation.

        I drag my graze from the seat I was in to his piercing red eyes. They were glaring at me and I stared back, slowly losing myself in those beautiful eyes.