Chapter 17

[ XVII ] Chapter 17

        "Aro once gave me flowers for my birthday in secret." Sulpicia giggled, covering her mouth with a delicate hand. "Even though it was forbidden. I think he fell under some spell cast by Aphrodite."

        I choked out a laugh, trying to take deep breaths even though I didn't really need it. "No way!" For the past hour or so, Sulpicia had been telling me about her past in a very humorous manner.

        "He did. Then he got whipped when his father found out. Of course, that's when he started teasing Caius." Sulpicia winked. "Assuming that he has told you about his childhood."

        Lowering my head and biting my bottom lip, I looked at anything and anywhere but at the queen in front of me. I would be as red as a tomato if I were human. "Well, I kind of forced him somehow."

        Sulpicia blinked at me for a few moments before she started guffawing loudly. It was so loud, I was sure everyone in the castle could hear her mirth. She wiped away venom tears from her eyes as she finally caught hold of her sanity. "Ahhh, surely you're jesting."

        "Uhm. No. . ."

        Sulpicia started laughing once more as I fiddled with my fingers and tried to control my embarrassment. "Oh, you're such a good match for him." She sighed, taking my hands in hers and squeezing gently. What? I tilted my head in confusion but she was already rising to go back to her room. She glanced at something behind me. "I shall see you later, Genevieve."

        With those parting words, she left me alone with my thoughts. 

        Or so I thought. "How are you this evening?" A familiar voice queried behind me.

        I jumped in fright and turned to see who it was. I was expecting something like another mystery vampire. One that was sent by Aro to claw and tear at my face until it was mangled, but no, it was only Caius. I relaxed. "I am doing fine, Lord Caius. How was your meeting with Lord Aro?" I murmured, not sure if he wanted me to use his name with honorifics or not.

        Caius' lips quirked up in a small smile as he blurred over to me. He raised his hand and caressed my cheek gently with his knuckles. "Just Caius, Genevieve. We are alone and there is no one around to hear." He murmured.

        I leaned into his touch, closing my eyes and savoring the moment. "What were you and Sulpicia discussing? Aro and I heard her laughing from the other side of the castle."

        "Surely, you were eavesdropping My Lord." I retorted back saucily, letting go of my true side when I knew that no one was listening. At least, I hope no one was listening right now. I don't want my head to be torn off just because I was being, quote unquote, rude to the king.

        Caius rolled his eyes and I gaped. "You just rolled your eyes!" I exclaimed, stepping back and pointing at him as if he'd done a bad thing. Caius Volturi, the most feared out of all the Volturi Kings just rolled his eyes! Was the world coming to an end?

        "And?" He muttered, seemingly annoyed.

        I gulped. "Uhm, you." I muttered lamely, looking anywhere but him. God, these Volturi people just has these effects on me.

        "Me?"

        "You just rolled your eyes. You don't do that." 

        Caius narrowed his eyes but it wasn't out of anger or anything bad, it was just meant as; What the eff is this woman talking about? I cleared my throat.

        The silence between us stretched so long; I did what I could do, I bounced over to him, boldly wrapped my arms around his strong neck and kissed him lightly on the cheek. "I'm sorry." I whispered.

        Caius wrapped his arms around my waist and turned his head to kiss me on the lips. Whoa. It's make-out-with-only-lips day. "For what, my dear?" He murmured, forcing his tone to match mine.

        "For acting like that. It's just that I've never seen you roll your eyes, obviously, and plus. . ." I trailed off but continued at Caius' hostile glare. "You're one of the most feared vampires in the universe. No joking. . . speaking of the most feared. . ." Caius' kiss stopped my sentence. 

        "Hush, no more talking for now. I need silence. Aro's nonsense has gotten to my head." He muttered, lowering his head down to rest his head against my shoulder.

        I complied with his wish. It must be hard listening to Aro's rants every day. Especially if the topic is about taking over the vampire world. Oh God I wouldn't, no, I couldn't live with that. Because of Caius. Whoa. No. Holy cow. I threw a brick at my subconscious to shut her face. Don't deny it. You know it's true. She chirped happily, causing me to huff in annoyance.

        That thought then led my mind to when Sulpicia left. I don't know why, but it suddenly came to the forefront of all the jumbled thoughts. Before the queen left, she had glanced behind me. . . did she see Caius? Sense him? I certainly didn't. . . wait, he didn't hear all of what I said right? "Wait. When did you come into my room?"

        Caius mumbled something incoherently in my shoulder and I furrowed my brows. "What?"

        The king raised his face so his chin was resting on me instead of his face. "Just as Sulpicia finished her story."

        Which story? She told many to me. . . Holy Crud. That means he heard my confession. . . possibly all of them. "You heard everything?" I whispered, horrified.

        "Naturally. With vampire hearing I could hear your conversation all the way across the castle." He raised a brow after studying my face for a moment. "Is there a problem?"

        "You heard."

        "Pardon me?" 

        "You heard everything?" I breathed again.

        "Everything." He confirmed and I lost my footing, causing Caius to stand upright to support me.

        I moaned in agony as I slumped against him. "My life is over." Soon, he will tell Aro everything. I'm sure of it. Unless he has already.

        "How so?" He murmured, slowly moving us to the couch to sit down. He cradled my head to his chest and stroked my hair in a rhythmic manner.

        "You'll tell Aro everything." The hand stopped.

        Caius emitted a small growl and I looked up, afraid. He turned his head away, not wanting me to see his scowl. "I do not tell him everything. Remove that thought if you think that I will stoop that low for Aro."

        I stared at him in shock. He doesn't? Nope. Gosh, Genevieve. Loosen up. He won't hurt us if he doesn't have to. True. . . wait. What. "Oh."

        "Yes. Oh." Caius growled, shifting his gaze from something behind me, most likely a window, to my eyes. 

        "How well do you fight?" The question slipped unbidden from my mouth and I shut it immediately, looking away.

        When I peeked back up at the king, he was smiling in amusement. I pouted. "I fight well enough." I raised a brow and nudged him to continue. He took a strand of curled hair and twirled it around in his fingers. "I can beat Demetri or Felix in a duel. They are the Volturi's best fighters."

        I hummed in approval and nuzzled myself into the crook of his neck, causing him to stiffen slightly in discomfort. Well, I'm rushing our relationship but I don't care. Suddenly, I craved intimacy with him. My subconscious cheered in agreement.

        Pushing the thought away, another came into my mind. A very good one. I smiled. "What are you thinking about?" Caius muttered, tilting my chin up with his free hand to look into my eyes.

        I stared at him with a grin while a frown formed on his face. "Teach me how to fight."