four

Friday afternoon, Jaden and Bridget came over after school hanging out before Open Mic Night.

That morning, I had told mom that they were coming over. I had also told her to not to worry because it would be super chill and that we were just getting ready and such together. However, coming home, she had already made snack which she had testified that grandma had just happened to make cookies and they were out on the bench to cool. I saw through her act.

Upstairs, Jaden, bridget and I sat with the plate of cookies in between us, on my bed. We talked for a while, messing around before starting to get ready.

Jaden, being the stylish queen he was had bought multiple shirts to choose from as well as another pair of trousers that he to choose between. Meanwhile, the ever so practical Bridget had already chosen her outfit of a light pink PVC miniskirt and a white ribbed cami top with the lilac faux fur coat she had worn this morning.

Me? I was standing at the opening of my closet, waiting for my outfit to come to me.

"Margot?" Jaden and Bridget broke me out of my daydreams as I shuffled through my closet. "Do you need help?"

Nodding, I stepped back, letting them through into the very small 'walk in closet' that was there. In reality, It was just a large built in linen cupboard that we had built so one could 'walk' into.

"I think we should go for something kind of simple so Margot can be the focus," Jaden said as he pulled out a sheer black top, throwing it to me.

"No way!" Bridget gasped, pulling out a a colourful beaded blouse and a pair of bright red pants. "She had to stand out,"

Sighing, I stood, taking a pink cropped t-shirt with 'pussy posse' written in gold. I at least knew I would wear that.

"Margot you have the best closet in the world," Jaden said, pulling out a blood red sheer button up shirt, covered in intricate sequins and beads. "Can I wear this tonight?"

"Sure," I shrugged as Jaden, who hadn't chosen his outfit yet, pulled off the white t-shirt he had worn all day, sliding his arms through the bright red shirt. It was a look. "You look better in that than me," I said, only a little bit salty.

Standing, Jaden looked at himself in the mirror, he tucked the shirt loosely into the tailored black trousers he was wearing, leaving the top buttons of the shirt open.

"Damn, I do look good." He examined himself, Bridget coming out to admire herself too.

"Come on Margot, we need you to get changed so we can take photos.

Going into my closet, I changed into the pink top, deciding to go braless, then putting on a pair of high waisted black cargo pants. Coming back out, I posed in the door way before taking a pair of platform boots to wear to create the impression of long legs since I was already a measly 5'5.

"You look hot," Jaden hollered as I fixed my hair in the mirror. I had washed it this morning and had worn it natural all day, and it still looked okay.

"We look like an edgy left alt group" Bridget took her phone from her purse, which she was already wearing, taking a photo in the mirror.

"We look good," I agreed.

Going downstairs, we were all bubbling with excitement, skipping down the stairs. Standing by the door, my parents waited by the door.

"We thought we would come and watch you since you haven't in a while," Dad said, putting an arm around Mom.

"Really," I grinned, picking up my keys from the hook. "That's so sweet"

Kissing their cheeks, we agreed to meet there since I had to get there early to warm up and calm down. I always had to be there before the audience when I performed.

Entering Stevies, the lights were dimmer, the furniture had been reconfigured and there was now a small stage. The diner was open and there was only one group there. Of course, that had to be Ian and his group.

"JJ!" Ian immediately was able notice the entrance of Jaden within five seconds. Going straight to them, Bridget and I followed him.

Sitting down at the table, Matt was across from me, greeting me with a smile as I sat down.

They talked about how they were performing tonight and introduced Bridget and I to Dom and Romil who performed with them but went to school in a different area. Looking at the mix-mash group of boys, I began to postulate what their performance could involve. I knew from Kevin that he, Ameer and Merlyn rapped. Then there was Joba and Matt who I was unsure what they would do. I had heard Joba was a singer but Matt didn't seemed like the performing type. He has such a low key personality that I couldn't imagine him on a stage.

"Margot's performing tonight," Jaden brought me into the conversation after I sat as an observer.

"Shit girl, what you doing?" Ameer hollered.

"I'm a singer," I said, as my nerves began to pent up.

"She's incredible" Jaden promised animatedly.

"So you do covers or what?" Matt spoke up, leaning across the table towards me, creating an intimacy.

"Originals mostly, but I sing some covers now and then," I explained, resting my head on my hand.

"How do you make them?"Matt continued to ask, interested.

"With my dad." I told him, "He's a musician and we had a recording studio at our house in Portland."

"That's neat," Matt said, looking over to the rest of the group.

"Anyway, I'm going to go warm up. I'll see you guys soon,"

Standing, I alerted the server behind the bar, asking for a bottle of water, giving them five dollars, before turning to go outside. Sitting on the bonnet of my car, I opened my phone. I couldn't handle other people before a performance, especially when they were chatty about what I was doing.

Warming up my vocal chords, I caught sight of Matt stepping out, on his phone. Watching him from my car as he took a cigarette from a pack in his pocket. Looking up to light it up, he saw me, causing me to quickly pretend I was looking. Smiling at me from afar, I waved, nodding him over. Smirking with a rebellious grin, he sauntered over, sitting beside me on my car's bonnet.

"Aren't you performing tonight?" I looked at the cigarette in-between his fingers.

"And?" He rose an eyebrow.

"They destroy your voice," I justified, talking a sip of water.

"I know." He sighed, flicking it on the tarmac. "I only do when I nervous,"

"So you nervous too?" I rose a eyebrow, turning right towards him.

"Too?"

"Nerves are natural before performing. But I still try to control them." I said, Matt smirking. "Anyway, if you came here to talk, I don't want to talk about performing."

"Okay," He accepted, shrugging as he puckered his naturally pointed lips. I wondered what his lips would be like to kiss. "Well, how about I tell you how nice you look tonight."

Blushing, I looked into my lap, feeling the coming autumn wind on my back. Rubbing my hands together, I sat on my hands, trying to keep them warm.

"Sorry, was that too forward?" Matt noticed I hadn't said anything and had perceived that as bad news.

'No, no, its fine," I giggled as he began to blush too. "It was cute." Matt wore a pair of cuffed-up black trousers with white text down the side with a royal blue sweater and he looked good.

"Okay, okay," He exhaled, relaxing his posture.

"Boy, you always look good" I played with my hair, as people began to arrive. "Anyway, I'll see you in there. Good luck and don't smoke that shit to fix up those nerves."

a/n: hope you're enjoying it so far.