eight

We skated for two hours, and tired, we sat down in the grass, basking in the warm sun. Lying back, resting my head on my board, my hands softening the surface.

"I love this place," I grinned feeling the sun on my black pants, heating them up. "Its so much better than the park in town. Its so quiet."

Looking down to me as he sat in the grass, Matt smiled.

"I'm glad that the park was filled," Matt leant on his side, inching closer to me.

"So am I," Smiling, we remained silent observing the world around us. It was a happy world we were in. Birds were perched in the trees and here the grass grew by itself. I didn't mind that I barely knew Matt or if any attraction I had to him was currently purely physical because I was prepared to know him. I really wanted to.

"Your parents are cool," Matt said and even I surprised myself that I wasn't bothered by him breaking the quiet.

"What's your family like?" I asked, genuinely curious.

"My mum's an English teacher. She teaches in Houston. She's calm and caring. I have a sister too, she's younger than me. She's really smart, like she will make a comment on something and she's only thirteen, it amazes me how she can just make sense of things. She's also hilarious, she has the best sense of humour." Matt glowed as talked about his family and I didn't ask questions about a father or anything, if he wanted to talk about it, he would've. I didn't feel any curiosity about it either, I just had this warmth inside me as he smiled, talking about the people he loved.

"They sound great," I interacted, wanting to hear more.

"They are," Matt grinned and his entire face smiled with him. His eyes sparkled and his cheeks filled. "So is it just your parents and you?"

I wanted him to talk about his family.

"Well, my grandma too," I said defensively

"Of course," he laughed. "You know, I don't think I could imagine not having a sibling. What's it like?"

"My whole life I've had this big music family. My dad's band, their families, we would all tour. But, sometimes I do wish I had siblings, I don't know." I shrugged.

"I guess its all different,"

Smiling Matt laid next to me, putting his hands on his stomach. I was right next to him and could hear him breathe, I wondered if he could too.

"So, when I was little, my sister and I used to find things in the clouds," Matt brought up, "And I would like to state that there is an octopus in the sky,"

Giggling, I could see it too.

"Does this octopus have a story?" I asked, looking at the splayed cloud in the sky.

"Of course. His name is Jennifer."

"Jennifer? I like it,"

"He has two kids and a wife and owns a bakery which sells the best bagels,"

"Fascinating," I laughed at Matt, finding what I thought was an elephant in the sky  "Let me tell you about Meredith the elephant," I pointed out the cloud.

"What? I don't see it," Matt furrowed his brow. Pointing, he still couldn't see it.

"Okay, well use your imagination,"

"Okay,"

"So Meredith is actually the drag name for Benjamin. Benjamin is 24, lives in Chicago, is very gay and has a soft spot for bagels," I created on the spot.

"Sounds like a great person," Matt chuckled at our juvenile humour. "Speaking of bagels, I'm hungry,"

"Okay, should we get going?" Standing up, I brushed my pants off, taking my board before going to the car.

We drove back into town and I assumed we would just go to Stevie's, however Matt directed me away to another diner closer towards Houston.

"Why are we going here?" I asked, pulling into the parking lot.

"We don't have to bump into people we know," Matt told me. I didn't really understand why he chose to, but I didn't ask questions.

Walking in, there were no seats except a few benches which were all already occupied.

"We can sit in the car," I told him as I looked up at the menu. "What are you getting?"

"The double cheeseburger meal," Matt pulled out his wallet.

"I'll get that too,"

Stepping forward, Matt ordered, paying before being given a receipt. Standing next to me we waited for food. Looking up at the menu, the meal was five dollars and pulling it out from my purse, I gave him the money.

"No, its fine." Matt refused my offer.

"Matthew," I rose my eyebrow unimpressed, putting the cash in his hand.

"You paid for coffee," Matt continued to insist, holding it out to me.

"Matthew, its five dollars, you can deal with being given five dollars," Closing his hand around the money, I patting then squeezing it.

"You know, I was so hungry," I said, the two of us on the hood of the car, taking a chomp of burger. "But fuck, this is good,"

"It's my favourite," Matt said, taking a fry from his bag.

"How do you know about it?"

"I used to be around this area a bit,"

"I mean it is totally a hole in the wall,

"I know," Matt chuckled, taking a sip of his drink.

Quietly, we watched people come and go, driving along the highway. I hadn't been here long but I already felt at home. There were diners and places I would go to and spots to skate. I had friends, I had Jaden and Bridget, and even now Ian and Matt and their group.

Looking over to matt, I noticed him smiling at me, this sun shining through his black hair making it appear a chocolate brown. He was just so...

"You okay?" Matt asked as he noticed me looking back at him

"Are you?"

"I was asking you Miss Mitchell," Matt said playfully.

"I'm having a great time, thank you,"