five

Going back into Stevie's, I sat on a couch in a back corner of the cafe next to Bridget and Jaden.

"Where's Ian?" I asked.

"He's getting ready with his group, they'll be back before it starts. Where's Matt?" Jaden rose an eyebrow, alluding to the fact that Matt and I were talking when I was 'warming up'.

"I don't know, I left him out there. Probably with the group," I shrugged.

"Margot, I told you he has a thing for you," Bridget nudged me excitedly.

"Wait this has been discussed?" Jaden appeared shocked.

"Yeah, well while she was having her little skate date with Champion and you were tickling willies with Ian, I overheard Ameer and Merlyn talking about how Matt was talking about this pretty new girl in his AP Chemistry." Bridget explained to very fascinated Jaden.

"Guys, its no big deal," I rolled my eyes.

"Margot, we saw you two. You have your eye on him," Jaden cut the bullshit as I caught sight of my parents coming in, waving to them.

"Whatever," Standing up, I hugged my Mum and Dad. "Dad, this is the famous Jaden and Bridget," My dad had never formally met them.

"I've heard alot about you two," Dad shook both of their hands. "Are you two performing?"

"No" Bridget smiled politely, "But we help Stevie with setting it up,"

"Jaden's boyfriend and his group is performing here too tonight," I said, catching sight of Ian with his arm around Matt, frowning as he saw us.

"Yeah, we're really just here for support" Jaden said as Ian approached with a shocked expression on his face, pulling Joba towards him. "We couldn't miss seeing Margot perform after she showed us the recording,"

"Excuse me," Ian interrupted our conversation, Joba standing by his side, mesmerised. They were fans of my dad. "Are you Miles Mitchell?"

"I sure am kid," Dad smiled, holding out a hand to shake.

"Dad, this is Ian, Jaden's boyfriend and Joba. They're my friends," I introduced them.

"We are also massive fans," Joba promised, shaking Dad's hand. "It's such a privilege to meet you, let alone you happening to be our friend's Dad"

Interrupting us, Stevie told us the show was starting and Jaden and Bridget were now supposed to go on stage.

Introducing themselves as tonight's MC, I was surprised at the turn out. Little had I realised, Stevie's was a full on venue. There had to be a least one hundred people there, all young people of The Woodlands and surrounding areas. My parents stuck out around here.

The first act wasn't memorable, neither was the second. Then it was my turn.

"You might not know her, but after tonight, you're going to want to" Jaden introduced enthusiastically.

"Please put your hands together and welcome the wonderfully talented and beautiful Margot Mitchell!" Bridget joined the groups applause before she and Jaden receded off stage.

There was a stool and a stand for microphone and that was all I needed.

As the track started I closed my eyes, as my nervous energy became something. I was singing and it felt great.

"I'm getting tired of your shit,

You don't never buy me nothing,"

As I began singing, I caught glances of the audience moving to the soulful piano that played as I sung. It felt great. My heart synced with the tempo, and by the second chorus I couldn't contain myself and standing I pulled the mic out of the stand.

"I think you better call tyrone

And tell him come on

Help you keep your shit."

Putting an extra emphasis on the 't', i leant on the stool singing my final line with an impressive inflection going into it.

"You better call tyrone,

Hold up" The backing dropped out.

"But you can't use my phone"

As the backing played its last chord it was interrupted by a roaring applause. Bowing, I went off stage with the audience still clapping.

Grinning, my parents sat at a table away from my friends, smiling in approval and Ian in his group appeared impressed.

"Girl, who hurt you?" Ian asked, referring to lyrics.

"He is a no one," I rolled my eyes.

"But important enough to write a song about?" Joba rose an eyebrow.

"He had it coming," I sat down on the couch watching Jaden and Bridget introduce the next act. Lying back, Matt sat next to me.

"You were amazing," He told me, sitting surprisingly close to me.

"Thanks,"

Another act went by and suddenly it was the final act: Ian's group or as they called themselves 'BROCKHAMPTON'. At this point the energy was at an all time high and the audience's excitement was peaking as they all cheered.

Returning to my side, Jaden and Bridget applauded them with great vigour.

"Good evening!" Ian shouted as the group got on stage. "Some of you my know us, some of us my not-"

"You can't assume that brother," Ameer interrupted him.

"Anyway, we are Brockhampton and tonight we are performing our song Dirt," Ian announced, the group getting into position. To the side of the stage stood Romil, with his laptop and a deck out in front of him. He had to be their DJ.

There were all in complete synergy in less than a glance between Ian and Romil the backing began and the entire group began jamming on stage, dancing and joining in.

They were really good. Ian rapped the first verse and his sheer sureness of self made him a good choice to set it up. By the pre-chorus, it escalate to Joba entering. Joba immediately surprised me. His vocals were powerful regardless of the haunting tones that laid underneath. He had an equal self certainty to Ian but perhaps not as loud and out there.

By the chorus, we were on out feet Jaden, Bridget and I and dancing wildly, but we were stopped by the next verse as Ameer entered. Ameer had a deep voice already, but as he rapped he maintained a calm East coast style with a high key swagger. However, we returned to pre-chorus and the chorus ensuring us to return to our hype.

Stepping forward, Matt's verse had come. His voice which often had a surprising clarity had a now sensual cheeky playfulness.Dominating the stage he had his own low key swagger  and I couldn't keep my eyes off him. He noticed this, and looking straight at me he winked as his verse finished.

Trying to pretend like that didn't give me butterflies all over, I continued to move the music, dancing with Jaden and Bridget as the song continued. However, now and then, I would look overt and catch Matt looking at me.

a/n: the scene where Margot was singing was inspired by a scene from Dear White People. It's one of my favourite scenes from the entire show.
The song is called Tyrone and is on the Dear White People V2 soundtrack.