thirty two

After the events between Matt and I on New Year's weekend, the afternoon of the first Monday back at school was spent at Bridget's house, discussing distance.

"I told Matt about New York," I began, Bridget and I sitting on her bed. Jaden was out with Ian and wasn't able to hang out.

"What did he say?" Bridget asked, leaning on the head of her bed, snuggling into her pillows.

"He was happy for me, then i told him that it would mean distance. He just told me that he'd still love me. Him saying that made us go off topic," I recounted briefly to her.

"And that's it?" She raised an eyebrow. She had noticed how melancholy yet affectionate and close Matt and I had been.

"We hung out all day and I noticed he was seeming a bit off, we ended up discussing it. We both cried," I admitted.

"So did you come to a conclusion?"

"Our conclusion was that neither of us would want to stop each other's success, so that as long as we love and trust each other, everything will be fine," I brushed a strand of hair out of my face. Even talking about it was difficult. "Please, just give me advice. You and Nick seem to be working,"

"Oh babe, it's fucking hard. Everything you've said is right. You just got to trust and love. Whenever you feel shitty, you just have to trust yourself and your significant other," Bridget laughed to herself, but i could see a glint of sadness in her eyes

"Do you ever worry if Nick would meet another girl?"

"Of course I do. But I worry the most about if I'm holding him back you know? He's a college guy dating a high school girl,"

"That's what I'm worried about," I looked down at my lap, swallowing.

"Look, you and Matt, things will be fine. Distance is important for relationships. It helps you grow into your own person. So don't get too wound up in it," Bridget promised, the two of us lying next to each other.

"I mean how has it been working for you and Nick?"

"We don't get to see each other as much as we want to, but things are going well," Bridget explained, the two of us looking up to her ceiling where she had stuck photos up of her favourite memories. "I mean it's hard when you've got all these feelings but you can't act on them enough,"

"That's what worries me," I sighed, seeing a photo our entire group from my birthday.

"Yeah, you and Matt are so close, I can't imagine you being apart," Bridget added. "I promise everything will be okay,"

Whether I was overthinking things or not and it was purely coincidence, that Thursday, Bridget texted Jaden and I in our group text with simply 'come over, I need you guys right now'.  Immediately after, I got a text from Jaden.

Jaden: I'll be right over, you call Bridget.

Me: See you in ten minutes

Dialling Bridget's number, it was immediately answered.

"Hello?" A small voice whimpered.

"Bridge, what's up?"I was immediately concerned.

"Nick and I had a big fight," She sobbed. "This distance is hard. I'm sorry,"

Downstairs, Mum was calling me. Jaden was here. Hanging up, I ran down, immediately driving down.

Sitting in Jaden's car, I was just thinking about how things were falling apart.

Nick and Bridget were so strong together, it felt felt like everything was doomed. I knew how much Bridget loved Nick, and i knew how they worked things out. Matt and I had never fought so I was in the dark to what would happen.