Chapter 1

Shit. We just HAD to kill their people. I think to myself running through the forest. Faster and faster I ran. Sweaty hair coating my forehead, my lungs burning from the cool air, and my legs aching just minutes from giving out. I look to my right at Rick as he's running beside me, he gives me a hopeless look. I've been with his group for a few months now. We met in Alexandria, the place that saved me. The place closest to what I would consider a home. These were my people, my family, all that I have. You don't come by much these days. I weave in and out of trees trying not to lose sight of the group. Maggie, poor thing is dying every minute that she is away from a doctor. She's sick, deathly sick and needs help quickly for her and her baby. We are currently running from a group known as the "Saviors" ironic name for such a monstrous group. Dirt is kicked up from under my feet as I keep a steady pace.
"Run right through here!" Rick yells as we sprint into an opening. Suddenly we are surrounded by the sounds of whistling. I stop in shock and fear as everyone bumps into each other looking around to find the source of the noise. Rosita, Carl, and Rick raise guns circling over and over again. I grab a pistol from my holster and raise it too. Suddenly I'm blinded by bright lights. I squint instinctively and blink trying to regain my vision. A bunch of men are surrounding us, too many to fight ourselves. A few men step forward pushing us to our knees. Daryl was here already with a few others, he looks terrible. We are placed on our knees in a straight line side by side. I peer over at Maggie as she struggles to keep herself up. Someone knocks on the RV in front of us as we all await to see the leader of the group. I can't find myself to look up so I stare at the ground.
"We pissing our pants yet?" A man says, his voice is deep and... familiar? I want to see the man but I can't bring myself to look up. "Boy do I have a feeling we are getting close." My mind is racing, I know this voice from somewhere but I am frozen. My mind is screaming to look up but my body can't do it.

"It's gonna be pee-pee pants city here real soon. Which one of you pricks is the leader?"

"This one." Another voice calls out.

"You're Rick, right? I'm Negan.
And I do not appreciate you killing my men.
Also, when I sent my people to kill your people for killing my people, you killed more of my people.
Not cool.
Not cool.
You have no idea how not cool that shit is.
But I think you're gonna be up to speed shortly.
Yeah. You are so gonna regret crossing me in a few minutes.
Yes, you are.
You see, Rick, whatever you do, no matter what, you don't mess with the new world order.
And the new world order is this, and it's really very simple. So, even if you're stupid, which you very may well be, you can understand it.
You ready? Here goes."
He speaks and I still have yet to look up. I just focus on my breathing. Suddenly, I see two shoes appear in front of me.
"PAY ATTENTION" they scold and that is when the connection is made. It hit me like a boulder. It's like something connected, like a light bulb went off. It brought me back to before all this. Back when I was talking in volleyball practice.

I was sitting down on the bleachers as the coach was giving a speech about the game tonight. But of course nobody was listening.
"Brooke, you have to see what dress I'm wearing to prom." Jess whispered.
"Show me after practice can't wait."
"You're gonna love it it is-"
"PAY ATTENTION!" A voice booms.

I finally manage to lift my head to make eye contact with the familiar man. My lips part in utter shock, would he even recognize me? My thoughts are soon answered when he gives an equally as shocked look in return. There is a moment of awkward silence where all eyes are glued to me.
"Rookie?" Is all he can ask. Rookie was his old nickname for me. We had two Brooke's in the class, although the other never bothered to show up. He gave me that nickname because I was the newest recruit on the volleyball team and newest member of his gym class. I transferred to the high school and he helped me land a spot on the volleyball team after he saw me playing in gym.
Again there's a silence. Not a peep.
"Coach." I mumble under my breath as everyone cocks their heads and raise their eyebrows. I feel I should also mention I had a mild crush on him. And call me crazy, but I feel the feelings, though forbidden at the time, were mutual.