Chapter 15

My eyes flutter open and I am blinded from the lamp above me. I feel my throat is dryer than a desert and immediately reach for a glass of water on the table close by. I begin to take large gulps of the liquid, draining the cup in seconds.

"That was a close call." The doctor says. "You were very sick, I'm still not sure what caused it but you should make a full recovery." He explained looking at a clipboard. Your vitals are stable and you should be good to go. I'll go tell Negan you're finally awake."

"How long have I been out?" I ask, my voice cracking in the process.

"Oh I don't know maybe a little under a week." He says as I look at him dumbfounded.

"Like I said it was a close call, had to put you in a medically induced coma." He explains.

"Jesus Christ Rookie. You're awake." A familiar voice calls from behind me. I turn around and meet eye to eye with Negan.

"I was just about to radio you." Doctor Carson intervenes.

"I thought you'd never wake up." Negan says relief clear in his voice. The memories of our last encounter flood my mind and I begin to grow agitated.

"We still have A LOT to discuss. But all that matters right now is that you're ok. Now I want you to go to your room, get changed, take a shower, and meet me in my room pronto. Understood?"

"Yes sir." I mumble as I make my way towards my room. I open the door and see Frankie staring at me wide-eyed.

"Jesus Christ you're alive!" She says engulfing me in a hug. "I was only allowed to see you once but you were still out cold and Negan wouldn't tell me much."

"Yeah I wish I had time to stay and chat but unfortunately I need to shower and change and then meet with Negan. He's still pissed at me."

"Heard you tried to make a run." She smirks.

"Yeah, yeah." I say as I go into my bedroom and pick out some simple clothing. I grab a towel and head for the bathroom locking myself in it. My stomach twists at the thought of facing Negan after what I did. And I know he's gonna press the whole Hilltop situation.

I can't tell him that we associate with them. I continue to clean myself, shave, and when I'm finished I step out and dry myself before slipping on my clothing. I walk out of the bathroom and towards the door.

"Good luck." Frankie says as I'm walking out the door.

"Thanks. I'm gonna need it." I mutter under my breath as I shut the door behind me. My feet feel heavy as I tread down the hall towards his room. I find all my strength and knock quietly on the door but immediately regret it.

I begin to think my knocking was so silent he didn't hear it until "Come in Brooke."

My heart thumps heavily I feel it may burst through my rib cage. I hesitantly turn the knob and open the door. I peer around the room and don't see any sign of him.

"Shut the door behind you." He says as I do so. I then see the light in his office on. I walk slowly towards it. I feel like a kid going to the principals office. Except the principal is a bat-wielding maniac.

"Sit." He orders pointing to a chair pulled up in front of his desk. I sit down and nervously begin to tap my foot. I look everywhere except at him.

"I think we need to have a discussion." He says.

"About what?" I ask playing dumb.

"Don't play dumb with me."

Shit.

"Now where do I even fucking begin? How about how you know anything to do with the Hilltop. Or maybe we should talk about that little, but impressive, stunt you pulled. Or how about how smart mouthed you are?"

I stay silent. I truly have nothing to say for myself. I'm not ashamed for anything. The only thing I regret is bringing up Hilltop.

"You are getting yourself into lots and lots of trouble. I let you slide for a lot of things. I don't make you wear your 'wife uniform' you're lucky I like you Brooke. We are a team, and there can't be anymore secrets between us."

I get super angry by that comment. "No more secrets! Everything you do is secretive, everywhere you go..."

"It's not a secret I just don't want you involved. It's for your own safety and isn't your concern anymore."

"Alexandria is and will always be my concern." I say as his fist tighten.

"What do you know about Hilltop." He pushes the subject.

"I told you. I overheard you mention it before." It's not a total lie he and others have openly talked about the group.

"You're lying to me."

"No I am not!" I'm just not telling him the entire truth...

"Brooke. There is going to be consequences and you're not gonna like them. So you better start talking and apologizing. I don't want a weak ass apology either. I'm a reasonable guy Brooke but I will not stand for liars, especially you."

"Well what about you! Sure you didn't promise not to kill anyone but you didn't even attempt not to! You killed someone from Alexandria! Yet again! Someone who was innocent!"

"I run things as I need to! Sorry but it isn't on your terms. I think you forget who is in charge here!" He screams standing to his feet. He slams his hands against his desk.

Damn I wish I was still in a coma.

"Negan..." I sigh. "We are anything but a team." I say turning to leave.

"Don't you fucking walk away from me young lady!" He screams.

"What are you, my fucking dad!" I sass walking through the living room. Before I can even react I feel an arm tightly grasping my arm. I look up into Negan's eyes, they are darker as usual.

"Don't you ever fucking talk to me that way." He says extremely pissed, I've NEVER seen him this angry. I think I may have crossed a line with this one. I wiggle uncomfortably trying to get him to release me from his grasp but he won't budge.

I know he won't hurt me or kill me but it does make me scared as to what it is he will do.