Chapter 23

I'm dragged away but can't break my eyes from the direction I'm looking. My heart is racing as the number of the dead seem to increase. I'm swarmed and can barely think straight. There are so many that I've completely lost sight of my only friend. I brace myself for the sharp pain of a bite but it never comes. The grip that's holding me tightens but I realize isn't very strong at all as I am pushed into a clearing. And just like that it's like they all disappeared. It's silent and I still refuse to make any form of contact with my abductor so I just sit in silence.

"You're safe now." A soft voice reassures me, so soft I almost miss it. It was the sweetest whisper I've ever heard and that is when I'm torn from my train of thought and force myself to make contact with the tender voice. I look up and see a tall skinny dirty child who can't be above the age of 12, with long dark brunette hair and big round dark doe eyes. We don't say a word we just look at each other.

"I need to find my friend." I finally speak.

"If he's tough, he'll survive." She responds and I know she's right. Suddenly there's a crinkle in the leaves from behind us. I'm quick to turn and see the one face I was hoping for, my dear friend. He falls to his knees and my heart nearly jumps out of my chest as the dead appear once again. But this time, something is different. They just stand there, they don't move, they don't groan, it's as if time has froze. More and more of them appear and just stop in their tracks as if an invisible force field surrounded us between them. I turn to face the child who seems unfazed. And then I turn to look at my friend. He too doesn't seem bothered, but nothing really ever does bother him much these days. There's a break between the dead and one walks through. But they aren't limping and reaching. This one is walking like any other human. They disregard me and turn their attention to the child behind me.

"How many times Child, how many times do I have to tell you not to get involved." The voice is eerie, soft, quiet as she lectures her daughter.

"But mama, we needed more. You said so."

The masked being reaches across and smacks the child right across the face. The child doesn't move, she doesn't even flinch.

"What have I told you about calling me that. You should've let them prove their strength. It wasn't your fight."

I watch in confusion trying to put all the pieces together but nothing is adding up. The masked woman finally turns her attention towards me.

"I apologize for my offspring, she tends to stick her nose where it truly doesn't belong. We've been watching you for a little while and have noticed the great potential you both have to offer." She explains, "Allow me to introduce myself..." she begins

She takes off her mask and reveals her face. She is bald, shaved clean, she has fair skin. Her eyes are dark and face is also dirty. She wears a cold expression. "If you must address me by name you may refer to me as Alpha, and I remove my mask to show that I mean to you no harm. We live among the dead as we are all the same. We have survived by returning to our natural instincts. We live off the land and walk along the dead peacefully traveling around from place to place. We strip ourselves of our name, our age, and who we once were to accept who we are now. If you can live by our rules, then you may join us without any conflict."

I make eye contact with her and then the child. I glance at the rest of the group which doesn't seem as big now. I then look at my friend as he nods the approval. I turn back and look towards the direction of the sanctuary which is miles behind us now. And I look towards the direction of Alexandria. Which is even more miles away. The place I thought of for years as home, but sadly it was only a sad illusion. I then turn back to the leader.

"We accept your terms and offer ourselves as part of your group." I whisper just as she had. I can tell they don't show very much emotion, and I'm sure she'd deny it if I mention it, but for a quick second I swear I see her lips curl into a very slight smile and there is a quick glimmer in her eye. It is in that moment I realize, I'm finally home.