Game Time

~Sapphire's POV~

"Sapphire you don't even like baseball. Why would you agree to go?" 

I shrug as I struggle to pull my hair into a ponytail. We're all decided to go to my place before the game. I don't want to look like a mess around Ruby. 

"Lapis help me with this!" Pearl yelled exasperated. Lapis just silently walked over to where I was sitting in front of my mirror and helped me with my hair. "I don't see a problem with it. She obviously likes Ruby. Why not let her have a chance. I know Ruby and she's cool." I smile at her through the mirror and she returns a tiny one. Pearl just crosses her arms and sits down. "If this goes wrong you can say 'I told you so'. Does that work?" Lapis directs to Pearl and I.  Pearl huffs and starts working on homework while mumbling about how we shouldn't be going out on Mondays. 

I giggle, "Thanks Lapis," and stand up. "Should I wear something different? Is there a kind of dress code to baseball games?" I rummage through my closet and sigh, deciding I'll just stay in my dress.

"There's supposed to be an afterparty or something if they win. Which they probably will. Maybe we should go," Lapis suggests.

Pearl looks up from her textbook. "No, no absolutely not! My parents will kill me if I go to a party! There could be drugs or alcohol! And it's a Monday! We still have school!" 

"Ahh come on Pearl just some little fun? You need to get out more! Relax a bit," Lapis puts her arm around Pearl and takes her book from her. I laugh as they continue bickering. I love seeing them like this, especially Lapis. She's always a lot more talkative and open when it's just the three of us. I miss when she could always be like this.

I look at the time, the game starts at 7 and it's 6:30. "We should probably head out." I grab my bag and put my phone, wallet, and keys in it. Pearl and Lapis gather their stuff and head to our car. 

*AT THE GAME*

We sit in the bleachers with me squished in the middle between Lapis and Pearl. It's kinda crowded. Pearl is on the edge while Lapis is sitting next to a short yellow-haired girl. I think that's Peridot. She's pretty smart and I have a few classes with her. Surprisingly Lapis starts a small conversation with her after complimenting her alien shirt. Lapis isn't one to talk to strangers. Or anyone.

I scan the field before the game is about to start and see Ruby sitting in the pit with her team getting a pep talk. They all look so excited but Ruby looks like she's about to bounce off the walls. They all break and go out on the field to get in their places. Ruby is pitching for the other team and is bouncing in excitement. She looks up and makes eye contact with me immediately. I smile and wave at her and she grins widely. I give her a thumbs up and the game begins.

~Ruby's POV~

The game starts right after I see Sapphire. I can't believe she actually came. That just motivates me even more to win. Maybe I could impress her? 

I start pitching, already outting 3 players so we switch. Rough start for them. 

...

We win the game 27-25! It was so close, I didn't think we'd make it. I scored 7 of those while Ames scored 4 and Jasper 4. Sapphire was cheering in the bleachers as we shook hands with the other team. They were furious by the close loss but didn't care. They obviously had bad teamwork, they couldn't get any plays set. 

The team huddles with our coach to give us the final talk before we all head out to party. I walk to the locker room with Ames and Jasper when I see Sapphire walking past and run up to her. She turns to say something to Pearl before she walks in my direction.

"Hey!" I say when I meet up with her. I can still feel all the adrenaline coursing through my veins.

"Hi."

"Did you like the game?" I was nervous, which I'm usually not around girls.

"In all honesty, I wasn't really sure what was going on, I just cheered when I saw you," she laughs a little.

I smirk in response. "Oh yeah? Well after this I was going to the after party at Jasper's. It'd be nice if you came-"

"Yeah, I'm going" she interrupted, I could sense her excitement. It was adorable.

"-with me?"

"Oh." She doesn't say anything else. Was that a no? I'm not sure. I noticed that she put her hair up. It looks nice that way, I could almost see her eyes- "Ruby? I said yeah."

"Huh?" What were we talking about again? I keep getting distracted when I'm around her.  

"I said yeah I'll go with you. To the party."

Oh! "Oh yeah! Okay well uh wait here and I'll be back in a few okay?" Oh my gosh, I'm so awkward but she doesn't seem to mind that much. She nods her head and smiles and I head into the locker room. Jasper and Ames are already ready to go.

"Where were you?" Ames asks, looking out to door to see Sapphire. She sticks her head back in with a new smirk.

"I was just taking my time, basking in all the glory of winning," I lied. 

"We saw that your new little friend Sapphire came. Seriously Ruby if you don't tap that soon then send her my way,  I can show her a good time-" 

"Jasper don't you dare say anything else," I threaten, crossing my arms. I was furious. Sapphire is not an object.

"Ah you know I'm only joking. Come on Ames, I gotta get to my own house before the party does." They both walk out and Amethyst turns to me and gives me a knowing look and a wink. I just shrug as I head into the showers to clean up and cool off. Jasper is unbelievable sometimes. Women are not objects to be shared around. Especially not Sapphire. 

As soon as I finish, I get dressed back into my normal clothes, which is my button up shirt with the sleeves rolled up, my black skinny jeans, and vans. I tie my signature red headband around my curly messy hair, grab my bags, jacket and head out.

Sapphire is sitting on the bench looking at her phone. I furrow my brows in concern. It's getting pretty late and she looks a little cold.

"Hey, you ready to go?" I ask. She looks up and smiles, putting her phone in her pocket, stands up, and arms wrapping herself. I was right.

"You look cold. Here take this." I lay my thin jacket on her shoulders before she has time to respond. "It's not much but it should keep you warm until we get to my car."

Sapphire just shakes her head, "No it's perfect, thank you." I only smile at her as I lead her to my car.