Breaking Down Walls

Emotional rollercoaster. 😈

~Sapphire's POV~

I can't believe Ruby's still throwing a fit. Refusing to talk to me all day, but that's fine because I can do the same thing while I wait for her to admit that I'm right...

 I'm not angry.

"Sapphire?" Pearl questions. 

"Yes?" I respond simply.

"Are you okay?" Lapis turns to look at us, her tiny smile from Peridot fading.

"Yes. I'm perfect. Why do you ask?" Nothing seems off to me.

"Well on the way to school this morning you slammed your front door, you were quiet on the car ride, you sat at your locker for an odd amount of time before class, you sat alone during third period, you didn't get anything to eat, and now you're just starring... At nothing. You've kinda been cold to us all day."

Peridot speaks up, "And doesn't Ruby usually sit with us- OW what was that for?" I see Lapis elbow her in the side. 

"Did you and Ruby get in a fight?" Lapis states simply like it's obvious.

"What makes you assume that Lapis," I stare at her coldly. I've quickly grown tired of this situation. 

"Because Amethyst just texted me from across the cafeteria that Ruby is 'Practically setting people on fire with the smallest of glares.' And that she's acting basically the same way." Pearl responds.

"Yes. We had a disagreement yesterday. She's just having trouble understanding how her actions affect other people. She's overreacting," I say as I look back to see a very angry Ruby sitting with her teammates.

"Not you though?" Lapis asks.

"No," I say coldly as I turn back around.

Amethyst comes to our table and sits next to Pearl, whispering something into her ear. Pearl looks between her and me before saying something back. Amethyst nods, looks at me and heads back to her table.

Pearl whispers to Lapis and they start their own conversation before looking back at me. I sigh very loudly so they know that I'm. Right. Here.

"Um, Sapphire?" Pearl says to me. I continue to stare at nothing.

"Yes?" 

"Amethyst told me that her baseball coach told her that if Ruby isn't 'whipped into shape' before the game tonight then she won't be able to play." 

"I don't see how this concerns me."

She sighs. "Ruby really needs to play to win this. This is her final game, she'd be devasted if she couldn't play. And her high school reputation kinda depends on this game. Maybe you guys could talk and work something out?"

"If she really wanted to play, she would Act. Like. It." The bell rings and I quickly leave to get to my class. This will either be very quiet or insufferable. I predict the latter.

...

Ruby goes and sits on the opposite side of the class, choosing to ignore my gaze. 

"Alright class, I know it's Friday and the big game day and you want to relax but your group projects are due next Tuesday for finals. So get with your partner and start finishing it up!"

That's fine. I can work with Ruby. She looks very irritated though. So sorry to be such an inconvenience, Ruby. 

Reluctantly she gets up and sits in the sit in front of me, turning it around. I've already gone to grab the project and have taken the liberty of starting it. She does her part, I'll do mine, no need to talk.