Losing My Love

Semi-mature content at *
You'll see when to play the song.

~Sapphire's POV~

"You will?" I ask incredulously. She wouldn't leave behind her family would she?"

Ruby walks closer to me and takes my hands. "For you, I'll do anything." She kisses me softly after that, making me forget everything we're running from. Just for a moment. It feels so nice, her hands holding me steady as I fall deeper in love with her.

When she releases she looks me in the eyes, full of concentration. "We need to pack right now."

"Where will we go?" I wonder out loud. "We went to Monterey last weekend. I'll take us there, we'll rent a hotel for a few days, lay low," she informs me. She speaks as if this is a mission but I guess in a sense it is. 

I head to my closet and grab my suitcase, folding my clothes neatly into it. Ruby leaves the room and goes into the bathroom, grabbing a few things from there. 

She's willing to leave with me. Leave the chaos that is her family behind. Is that a good thing? It's such a confusing situation that I can't feel right about anything. I can't focus on what the right choice is. I feel almost lost with myself. It's beyond frustrating to feel unsure of the future, the one thing I could always be certain of.

"Hey, where is the..." 

I turn to look at Ruby as she speaks but immediately get pulled away from reality. All I see is bullets flying everywhere, gunshots going off, sirens. Ruby's there behind a pile of rubble, dressed in black with a star symbol on her shoulder. She has a gun loaded and ready. There are bullets approaching her faster and closer. Ruby takes a deep breath before jumping out and shooting back at her attackers.

And then, she's shot.

Right in the heart.

"Sapphire!" In a flash I'm back home, sitting on my floor as before with Ruby looking worried.

"I might be going crazy or I just had a vision."

She visibly relaxes as I seem to be okay. "A what?"

The house is quiet as we sit in the still air, waiting to understand what just happened. I'm not entirely sure. I'm not sure of anything anymore.  This is getting out of hand. "A-a vision. I saw you fighting and getting shot at, you couldn't dodge then, you got hit, Ruby. You were dead." 

I wait for my girlfriend's response but she just looks back at me. I finally notice the bags under her eyes, most likely from the all-nighters to help her dad plan. Her entire face is exhausted, begging for a wink of sleep. Her hair is slightly frazzled and falling from her headband. When was the last time she ate? Her cheeks look a little less full.

"Are you okay?" I finally asked, breaking the silence.

Ruby grows confused. "Me? I should be asking you!"

"When was the last time you ate? Or slept," I ignore her questions.

"Sapphy that hardly matters, we need to get going. Soon."

"You need to take care of yourself, Ruby." I cup her cheek and feel her head rest into my hand like it's a pillow. She sighs and closes her eyes for a moment. She's too young to be dealing with anything of this kind of problem. We both are. 

"I'd much rather be taking care of you Sapphy," she whispers quietly while opening her eyes. She picks up her head and stands, helping me up as well. "I'll go make us lunch, you sit down and breathe for a moment, alright? We have time. The whole world can wait."