Top Shelf

"Jaren..." I yell for him throughout our house. I'm short. By short, I mean I can't reach the top shelf. I have to climb on the counter, which I'm not a huge fan of. Considering that when I was little, I fell off and busted my head open. So yeah, I've retired early from that. I hear footsteps coming into the kitchen and I smile.

"Yes (Y/N)?" I point to the top shelf and smile.

"I want chocolate milk but I can't get the powder." He laughs and kisses my cheek.

"Of course." He reaches up there with no problem and grabs it. He closes the cabinet and hands it to me. "There you go." I smile like a kid on Christmas and give him a quick kiss.

"Do you want a glass?" He nods and gets down a glass. I get the amount of powder I want and slide it over to him. I pull the milk out and pour it into my glass. I slide that over to Jaren and he pours himself a glass. "Can you...put it back?"

"I'll put it on the bottom shelf now, ok?" I smile and sit on a barstool, taking a sip of my drink. Jaren takes a seat beside me and looks over at me. "What would you do without me?" I laugh and turn to him.

"Certainly not getting anything from the top shelf." He laughs and gets up to go to our living room.

"There was no room on the bottom shelves so it's in the top again." I frown and follow. Jaren turns around and looks at me. "Hey, I'm your shelf hero, and always will be, don't worry." He hugs me and kisses the top of my head.

***

I laugh and John attempts his vape trick. Don't get me wrong, I love John, but he can't do it. Today, we decided to have a little get together. John, Craig, Scotty, Tyler, Anthony and the boys girlfriends are at the house me and Jaren shares. There is no particular reason according to Jaren. He was the one to plan this all. You plan on cooking everything for everyone though, with Jaren of course. Some ingredients are on the top shelf!

"Hey don't make fun of me hoe." John points at me. I laugh and flip him off.

"Hey John." John looks to Jaren, who is standing behind me while I'm sitting on the barstool. Jaren tells John to fuck off and John pretends to be hurt, dramatically gasping and clutching his chest. Jaren and I laugh and John smiles, but gives Jaren the bird.

"Whatcha making (Y/N)?" John takes a sip of his drink and looks at Jaren and I.

"Um...How about-" I was going to say something easy and I can reach but Jaren interrupts me.

"Chicken alfredo!" I turn around a look at Jaren with a confused look.

"Jar-You know I can't reach anything for chicken alfredo! He laughs and kisses my forehead. "Literally everything is on the top shelf."

"I can get everything (Y/N)." Jaren says. I pout, clearly wanting to do most of the cooking by myself and having Jaren get only a few ingredients. "Ok, everyone migrate to the other side of the kitchen." Everyone does as he says, moving away from the stove and counters surrounding it. We have a pretty big kitchen compared to all the other rooms, which I'm okay with. I usually distract myself by eating or baking. Then eating what I baked. We, or Jaren I should say, starts getting all the ingredients down and starts opening stuff up.

"Hey baby?" Jaren looks over to me. "Can you cut the chicken..?" He laughs, expecting the question. He nods, walking to the fridge. "Now, let's cook everyone dinner."

***

Jaren and I wait till everyone gets their first plate to serve ourselves.

"Hey, (Y/N)?" I look over to see Jaren, but his plate is on the counter.

"What's up?" He shakes the pepper shaker, telling me it's empty. "I just filled it.."

"Maybe you're thinking of a different time." He turns to the cabinet with the pepper and reaches up for it. I turn my back to grab a pot when I hear Jaren call my name from behind me. I turn around and see him, on the ground, on one knee. My hands instantly go to cover my mouth as I gasp. "I'm going to keep this short since nobody knew about my plan yet, but I wanted them all together when we told them. I love you (Y/N). Always will. Now, will you marry me? Will you let me be your top shelf hero forever?" I nod, fighting the tears welling in my eyes. He gets up and kisses me, smiling.

"Jaren I love the shit out of you." He laughs and pulls me into a hug.

"Why don't we go tell everyone before they start worrying about us, ok?" I nod and smile.

"Did you empty the pepper shaker just to do that? And did you hid the ring up there because you know I can't reach up there?" He laughs and nods. "Okay fuck you." He laughs again, quickly pecking my lips. I can't believe he used my shortness against me. But hey, I'm engaged to my favorite person in the world so I couldn't be happier.

***

i made an instagram account for smit and i lowkey gave my wattpad a promo i fucking haTE MYSELF.
- bryleigh