Not The Last Goodbye

I wipe away a tear as I put the last picture of us in a photo album. The picture is Jaren and I, laying in a hammock with big smiles on our faces. I'm laying next to him in the hammock, and his arm is behind my head.

"I love that picture." I hear a weak voice say. I look up from the picture to see Jaren looking down at me, smiling sadly.

"It was an amazing trip. The trip you...proposed to me." I say, my voice getting quieter as I finish the sentence. I feel a hot tear stream down my cheek. I let it fall onto the picture.

"(Y/N).." Jaren says, bending down to my level. "Don't cry. We'll see each other again." He rubs my back softly. I sniffle, and wipe away the tear that fell on the photo. I pull my phone out of my pocket and check the time.

"My flight is in five hours." I zip up my suitcase and pull the handle out.

"Why can't you-" Jaren starts, but I cut him off.

"Jaren. I have to go where my parents are to take care of them. Even if that is across the world." Jaren sighs and grabs his keys.

"I should get you to the airport then." I nod, and make my way to the car before he can say anything about the situation again. I put the suitcase in the backseat, and my carry on stays with me. "(Y/N)?"

"Yes?"

"Can't you just have your sister do it?" Jaren asks. I let out an exasperated sigh.

"Jaren. My mother is suffering from dementia, and my father is battling cancer in the hospital. I promised them that I wouldn't put them in a nursing home. Keely has three kids to care for anyways. She can't care for five people." I rub my temple, gaining a headache from stress.

"Why can't you fly them here?"

"Jaren. I wish I could, but both of them are took sick. When I get to Australia, my father is going to be released from the hospital, so he can be next to my mother as his health declines." I look over to Jaren, watching a tear quickly falling down his cheeks. "Hey, remember when we went to go see them?" Jaren smiles.

"That was a blast. Your mother kept saying how cute I was." I smile.

"And my father took you out all day, and you came back, telling me how he told you he'd kill you if you hurt me." Jaren laughs.

"That's the trip I bought your ring too." I look down at the ring on my finger. "I went with your mother to buy it. She helped me pick it out." I bite my lip.

"Do you want it back? For money?" I ask.

"No, keep it. We'll get married one day." I grab Jaren's free hand, and squeeze.

***

I look at the security check.

"Well.." Jaren says, not able to finish his sentence. I turn around and hug him, tight. He holds me close, not caring about the people giving us looks. I reluctantly pull away, and give Jaren a sad smile.

"I love you."

"I love you too (Y/N)." Tears run down my cheeks. Jaren wipes them away, not caring about the tears on his face.

"This isn't goodbye. We'll see each other again." Jaren picks up my hand with my ring on it. "We'll get married too." He kisses the ring. "We'll have a beautiful wedding. Everything we've ever wanted in a wedding." I smile and watch Jaren kiss my hand. I pull my hand away from his and pull him into a kiss. Jaren places his hands on my face, while mine clench his jacket. We break apart after a few moments pass.

"I love you Jaren." I break away from him, making my way to the security check line.

"I love you too (Y/N)."

***
I take a small sip of my tea as I look at flights on my laptop. It's been three years since I've been to Canada, and three years since I've talked to Jaren. We texted the first few weeks I got here, but with my parents needing twenty-four hour care, I didn't have time to answer. My parents died a year after being here, and for the past two years, I've been in a legal battle with my aunt about who gets the house. She convinced my mother she didn't make her will, and that she needed to make on before she was gone. My aunt had her write everything the same, but had her change the owner of the house from my name, to my aunts name. I finally won, and since I'm selling the house, I decided to head back to Canada. I reach for my cup, and as I do, the sun shines off my ring. I look at it, thinking about the day he got on one knee and asked. I pick up my phone and open it. I click on messages, and let my finger hover over Jaren's contact. Should I text him? Does he even think about me anymore? Fuck it. I click on the contact.

(Y/N), how's it going in Australia?
Did I text you at a bad time
again?
Sorry.

Hey! How's it going?
(Y/N)?
I love you.

I know it's been a month,
but I can't get you out of
my head.
I miss you.
Wish you were here.

*attachment*
Octavia is sleeping by the
door, waiting for you.
We miss you.

It's been a year since I've
texted you, but I saw your
sisters post on Facebook.
I'm sorry about your
loss.
Your father was the best.
He told me after we got
married, he was going
to give us the house you
and your sister grew up in.
I knew you'd be ecstatic.

*attachment*
Our second year without
you.
Octavia still sleeps by the
door.

I frown, letting guilt fill me up. I feel so bad for not answering his texts. I've been having a tough time without him, and I think he has too. I type up a quick sentence, not wanting to make it long.

Hey, it's been three
years, but I'm coming
back.
To Canada.

I'll be at the airport.
Waiting for you.

***
this low key has been in my drafts for the longest fucking time ever IM TRIPPING. anyways enjoy this sad bitch.
- bryleigh