2: Eddie's House

At 11:45 I sneak down the stairs to walk over to Eddie's house.

"Where do you think you're going?" My mom shouts angrily from the top of the stairs.

I turn around. She's clearly drunk, so there's no way she could catch me if I ran. "Nowhere!" I shout and sprint out the front door and don't stop running until I'm three blocks away.

I walk up to Eddie's house and see Bill and Richie setting their bikes down.

"Hey, hot stuff," Richie smiles.

"Hey trashmouth," I smile back. I'd never admit it to him, but I kinda liked it when he called me hot stuff.

We walk together into Eddie's kitchen and Bill and Richie begin loading up their backpacks.

"First you said the barrens, and now you're saying the sewer. I mean, what if we get caught?" Eddie asks worried.

"W-we won't, Eds. The sewers are p-p-public works. We're the public aren't we?" Bill replies.

"Hey, Eddie, these your birth control pills?" Richie says smiling. I laugh.

"Yeah and I'm saving them for your sister. This is private stuff." Eddie responds quickly, closing the cabinet Richie opened.

They zip up their backpacks and we go to leave as Eddie puts a bottle of pills in his fanny pack.

"What are those for?" I ask, pointing to his pills.

"My sickness," Eddie replies casually.

I'm about to question further when Richie and Bill give me looks telling me to drop it.

"Eddie bear," Sonia, Eddie's mom starts, stopping us in our tracks. I look at the woman sitting in her chair looking at her nails. She's overweight, wears glasses, and has short, black hair. To be honest, she kind of freaks me out. "Where are you boys off to in such a rush?" She continues, not looking up from her nails.

"Um, j-j-just my, uh backyard, Mrs. K." Bill stutters out. "I got a new--I got a new..."

"A new croquet set." Richie interrupts. "Jeez spit it Buh-buh-bill."

"Okay," she says, looking up. "Who is she?" Sonia asks glaring at me. Okay, now she is really starting to freak me out.

"She's just a friend we met at school today, Ma."

She continues glaring at me.

"My name is y/n. It's nice to meet you," I say after a couple seconds.

"Don't go off and do dirty things with my son," Sonia warns, "I know how inappropriate you teenagers can be."

My face goes completely red and so does Eddie's. Richie tries not to laugh while Bill is too shocked to say anything. "Uh-" I start. "Sexually transmitted diseases are dangerous. I don't want you giving my boy anything like that," Sonia continues.

"Um, Eddie and I are just friends, Mrs. K," I say, embarrassed. "You don't need to worry about anything like that."

"Good. I don't want a dirty girl going anywhere near my son. Oh and sweetie, don't go rolling around on the grass, especially if it's just been cut. You know how bad your allergies can get," Sonia warns.

"Yes Mom," Eddie replies and we start to leave.

"Aren't you forgetting something?" Sonia asks. Eddie hesitantly walk over to his mom and places a small kiss on her cheek. Richie tries, unsuccessfully, not to bust out laughing. I smack him in the gut to tell him to shut up.

"Do you want one from me too, Mrs. K?" Richie says laughing. Eddie pushes Richie and the rest of us out the door before she can respond.

"Sorry, mommy," Eddie says quickly, shutting the door.

We walk outside and the boys grab their bikes.

"We're gonna pick up Stanley on the way." Eddie says.

"Where's your bike?" Richie asks me.

"My bike? I don't have a bike," I explain. My mom doesn't even buy me food, let alone a bike.

"You walked all the way here?!"

"Yeah...it wasn't that far."

"The barrens are all the way across town. Plus, the rest of us are riding bikes." Richie stops and thinks for a second. "Get on the back of my bike."

"Is that even safe?" Eddie asks.

"She can hold on to me," Richie adds, winking at me.

I roll my eyes. "Okay, Tozier. Just, don't go too fast," I say. Then, I climb on the back of his bike and wrap my arms around him. We begin biking to the barrens, picking up Stanley along the way.

I have this weird feeling, like butterflies, in my stomach. And for some reason I like having my arms around Richie.