10: Insane Mom

[TW: abuse]

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!" my mother screams at me. She's definitely drunk. She's never a good mom, but when she's drunk she's an absolute nightmare.

"I was at the meadow," I reply, scared.

"Why are you home so late?" she says angrily.

"I lost track of time!" That wasn't a complete lie.

"Oh, so now you're lying to me?"

"No, Mom, I'm not lying!"

She slaps me across the face. "First, you stay out past curfew, and then then you lie to me about it? I think this deserve some punishment," she says threateningly.

"No, Mom, please!" I beg, crying.

She punches me in the face, causing my nose to gush blood. I begin bawling, holding my nose. My mom punches hard, okay? She continues punching and kicking me until I'm on the ground coughing up blood.

"I hope you've learned your lesson, y/n."

My mom has never beat me so much. I've gotten good at telling her what she wants to hear and sneaking around so she doesn't hurt me, but this is beyond what she's ever done before. I can barely move. My ribs and arms are all bruised. My left cheek hurts so bad and my nose won't stop bleeding. I couldn't get up, so I just laid there, crying, until I eventually went to sleep.

I wake up in even more pain than before. One thing I've learned is that it's hard for your body to heal if it doesn't have the strength to do it. Strength is something I don't have considering I only ate a milkshake yesterday. Another great thing about school is the free lunch. It gave me at least one meal a day, something I'm not guaranteed in the summer.

I don't hear anyone home, so my mom is either sleeping or at the bar. Ugh, what time is it? Wait, it's still dark out. I'm not just gonna sit around and wait for my mom come home. I sit up, wincing in pain the whole time. Richie doesn't live too far from here; I could just walk to his house. I stand up slowly trying not to cry out in pain. Fuck you, Mom.

I finally get up and slowly hobble out the front door and begin walking to Richie's. At least my legs aren't that hurt, so walking doesn't hurt as bad as I thought it would. I don't wanna wake his mom, so I start throwing small rocks at what I really hope is Richie's window. By some miracle, it is. He opens the window and looks outside. "Hot stuff?" He questions. "Is that you?"

"Y—" I attempted to say yes, but i start coughing up blood.

A few seconds later Richie comes running out his front door. "Are you—WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO YOU?!?!" Richie shouts.

"Shhh!" I scold him. "I'm...fine."

"No you're not! Did Bowers do this to you?!" I've never heard him so angry before.

"No...Richie...p-please stop...yelling."

"Sorry. Do you wanna come in?" I nod. He puts my arm around him and helps me into his house and into his room. I lay down on his bed because I'm so weak. He gets some frozen peas from the freezer and holds them on my bruised cheek. Then he gets a wet wash rag and begins cleaning the blood off of my face. I smile at him. "You're so...sweet," I comment. "I knew you had...a soft side." Richie rolls his eyes.

"Do you wanna borrow some clothes? Ones without dried blood on them?"

"Yes...please."

He gives me some old sweatpants and a t-shirt.

"Turn around...and don't peek!" I say.

"That's no fun," Richie whines, but he turns around.

I manage to change into his sweatpants but I can't get my shirt off because my arms hurt so bad. I really don't wanna do this. Richie doesn't have self control.

"Richie?" I ask.

"Yeah? Are you done?" He replies.

"It's just...I can't get my shirt off...and I need your help...but you have to keep your eyes closed!" I warn.

He turns around and walks over to me. "I was hoping the first time I took a girl's shirt off I could at least see what's under it."

I roll my eyes. "Richie, please," I beg.

"Fine," he says, closing his eyes. He grabs the bottom of my shirt and pulls it over my head. To my surprise he actually keeps his eyes closed. I hand him the new shirt and he pulls it down over my head.

"Thanks Richie," I say softly.

"Anything for my hot stuff," he replies.

We smile at each other. This shirt smells just like him and I love it.

"Can you tell me what happened now? If it wasn't Bowers, then who was it?"

"Um...it was..." It would've been so much easier if I just said it was Bowers. But I don't want to lie to Richie. "My mom." I look down at my hands in my lap, trying not to cry again.

"Your mom did this to you?!" Richie exclaims. I nod.

"She does it all the time actually. I just cover it with makeup."

"Why didn't you tell me?!"

"What was I supposed to say? 'Hey guys! My mom abuses me every night when she's drunk and never feeds me!' That's not exactly a great conversation starter, Richie."

"She doesn't feed you either?!"

"No," I say, starting to cry. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have come here." I go to stand up, but Richie pushes me back down gently and wraps his arms around me in a gentle hug and I love it.

"Thank you for telling me. That must have been hard for you," he says sadly.

"It was easier than I thought it would be."

"You're staying with me from now on, okay? I'm not gonna let you go back home with her."

I nod and melt into his embrace. It felt good to have someone care so much about me.

"Just don't tell the others, okay? I'll do it when I'm ready," I say and Richie nods.

I wake up in Richie's bed and I can feel his arms around my waist. And then I realize we are spooning. But I don't mind, Richie is so warm. I turn over and stare at him sleeping. He looks so sweet and peaceful. I've never seen him without glasses on. Without them, you can really see the cute freckles that dot his nose and cheeks.

"It's rude to stare, you know," Richie says in a raspy morning voice that makes my heart melt.

"You're cute when you're sleeping," I reply. He opens his eyes and realizes how close we were.

"Oh shit, I probably should've told you," he says pulling away from me.

"Told me what?"

"I'm a sleep cuddler," he says, clearly embarrassed as he continues to unwrap himself from me.

"Aw, that's so cute!...hey, where are you going?"

"Well, I just thought—"

"You were so warm," I whine.

"You actually liked cuddling with me?"

"I wasn't the one who backed away from it."

Richie thinks for a moment and then scoots back over to me. He wraps his arms around me and I snuggle into his chest.

—-

A/N-So your mom is batshit crazy.

~word count: 1,224~