17: IT Wants to Divide Us

We're standing outside waiting to see how Mrs. Kaspbrak will react to her son having a broken arm. Richie has his arm around me and it's the only reason I'm still standing up. I'm leaning against him with my head on his shoulder because I'm losing blood from my stomach and I'm about to pass out.

"You! You did this!" She screams, pointing at all of us. "You know how delicate he is." She takes Eddie and guides him through us and into the car.

"We were attacked M-m-mrs. K," Bill tries to explain.

"No! Don't!" she screams, opening the car door and shoving Eddie inside. "Don't try and blame anyone else." She frantically gets her keys out and ends up dropping them.

"Let me help," Beverly says, bending down to pick them up.

"No, back!" Mrs. K screams, picking them up herself, then getting in Beverly's face and whispering, "Oh, I've heard of you Miss Marsh, and I don't want a dirty girl like you touching my son."

"Mrs. K, I s-s-s--" Bill starts.

"No! You are all monsters! All of you!" she screams at us pointing. "And Eddie is done with you, do you hear? Done!" She marches around the car and gets in and drives away.

"I saw the well," Bill says once her car is out of sight. "We know w-w-where it is and next time we'll be better prepared."

"NO! No next time Bill!" Stanley yells, "You're insane!"

"Why?" Beverly asks, "We all know no one else is going to do anything."

"Y/n was nearly killed!" Richie screams, "Eddie broke his arm! And look at this mother fucker, he's leaking hamburger helper!"

"We can't pretend this is going to go away. Ben you said it yourself, it comes back every 27 years," Beverly argues.

"Fine! I'll be 40 and far away from here," Ben replies, "I thought you said you wanted to get out of this town too."

"Because I wanna run towards something, not away," Beverly responds.

"I'm sorry who invited Molly Ringwald into the group?" Richie asks, and Beverly flips him off.

"Richie..." Stan says.

"I'm just saying, let's face facts, real world! Georgie is dead! Stop trying to get us killed too!" Richie yells at Bill. He let's go of me and walks over to Bill, and I almost fall over, but Stanley catches me.

"Georgie's not dead!" Bill retorts.

"You couldn't save him, but you can still save yourself."

"No, t-t-take it back! You're scared and we all are, but take it back!" With the last statement, Bill pushes Richie away. In response, Richie pushes Bill back, so Bill punches Richie in the face, causing him to fall over.

"Bill!" I yell. Mike helps Richie up and holds him back.

"Fuck off!" he screams at him. Ben grabs Bill and holds him back.

"You're just a bunch of losers, and you'll get yourselves killed--"

"Stop!" Beverly and I scream. Mike let's go of Richie, and Ben let's go of Bill while Stanley is still holding me upright.

"This is what it wants! It wants to divide us!" Beverly yells to us, "We were all together when we heard it. That's why we're still alive!"

"Yeah? Well I plan to keep it that way," Richie says. He walks over to Stan and takes me from him. Then he sets me in the basket of his bike and we ride to his house.

Richie's sits me on his kitchen counter and lifts up my ripped and bloody shirt.

"Fuck," Richie says examining it.

"Is it really that bad?" I ask.

"I don't know, I've never fought a demon clown before," he responds. He walks over to a drawer, pulls out a rag, and wets it. Then he starts cleaning the blood off of my stomach. "It's gonna need more than just a band aid."

"Wow, thanks Dr. Obvious," I reply.

"I'll go see what we have." He walks down the hallway and opens a closet. He comes back with some gauze and a safety pin. I lift up my shirt and he wraps the gauze around my stomach, covering the cuts, then safety pins the end in place.

"I'm sorry for bringing you in to this mess. I feel like it's my fault," he says looking down.

"It's not your fault, Richie," I say, lifting his head up, "You're the best thing that's ever happened to me. You know that right?"

"Really?"

"Yes, really. My worst fear is losing you. When I was in that room, It was pretending to be you again but this time you were dying Richie."

"Well jeez, now I feel guilty my worst fear is clowns."

I smile at him.

"Just so you know, you're the best thing that's ever happened to me too."

I smile even wider, and Richie closes the gap between us, standing in between my legs. He wraps his arms around my back, and I wrap my arms around his neck. We kiss for a long time.

I think I'm falling for him.

------

~word count: 806~