11: The Diner Again

"Bill called and we're gonna go to the diner for lunch," Richie says, walking back into his room.

"I don't have any clothes," I reply.

"You can wear mine."

"Richie, I'm not wearing a stupid Hawaiian shirt."

"My Hawaiian shirts aren't stupid. They think you're stupid." I laugh.

"How are you feeling?" he asks sitting next to me on his bed. I feel a lot better this morning. My face is still swollen and my arms and ribs are bruised but I can at least move without wincing.

"Better. What about you?"

"Bowers didn't fuck me up that bad."

"Your nose bled for 10 minutes."

"Okay so maybe he did fuck me up, but I'm fine. Do you wanna go get clothes from your house?"

"We can go get my stuff later, my mom is usually up around this time."

"Okay, what are you gonna wear?" He asks. I get up and look through Richie's closet. Damn he has a lot of Hawaiian shirts. I finally settle on the tshirt he wore on the last day of school. There were like maybe three other choices and this is the shirt he was wearing when we met so...yeah. I go in to his bathroom and change into his clothes.

"You look a lot better in that shirt than I do," Richie says, looking me up and down. I roll my eyes, trying to hide the blush forming on my cheeks.

"Ready?" He asks. I nod and we head to the diner on his bike.

"Hey losers!" I greet them, sitting in the booth next to Richie. Next to Richie is Eddie, and across from us is Stanley, Bill, Bev, and Ben.

"Is that Richie's shirt?" Stanley asks me.

"Um," I say looking down. "Yes." I see all the others eye each other in suspicion.

"So anywhore," Richie says, breaking the awkward silence. "Have you guys ordered yet?"

"N-no, we were w-waiting for you," Bill answers.

"What can I get for--" our waitress stops as she looks up at Richie and I. "Were you guys in here yesterday?"

We look at each other, then turn back to her and shake our heads. She keeps looking at us trying to figure out if we're lying.

"Yeah, so we'll need 7 orders of burgers and fries," Richie says.

"Coming right up," she says, faking cheeriness and walking away.

"Why does she think you guys were here yesterday?" Eddie asks.

Richie and I make eye contact and try to contain our laughter.

"I don't know Eddie," I say, clearly lying.

"What did you guys do yesterday?" Stan asks.

"Nothing!" I reply too quickly.

"I don't believe you," Ben says.

"Yeah, seriously, what did you do?" Bev asks.

"Oh, look our food's coming!" Richie says excitedly, distracting them.

"Here you guys go," a waiter says, handing us our food. I look at the burger and fries sitting in front of me. I haven't eaten fries for years, and boy was I excited. Maybe too excited because they all seemed to notice I was stuffing my face like a pig.

"Woah, you act like you haven't eaten in weeks!" Bev jokes.

Maybe it's because I haven't. Richie looks at me worriedly and my face turns red from embarrassment. The losers look at each other after I awkwardly sit there in silence, trying not to cry. He slyly grabs my hand and squeezes it. He's really trying to make me feel better. I squeeze back and let go to continue eating, much slower this time.