Back to Normal?

"Shoot," I curse in frustration as I poke myself in the eye with my mascara wand for the third time tonight. Not surprisingly, I've been pretty on edge these last couple of hours.

"Calm down hun," Cara soothes, placing her familiar reassuring hand on my shoulder as she slides on her vans.

"That's the thing I love about coming to Maga," Samantha chirps in, swerving the conversation's subject. "Casual dress code. None of that killer heels bullshit."

"Agreed," I affirm, finally giving up and abandoning makeup as I inspect my own black halter dress matched with my trustee white converse.

"Blue or pink?" Samantha asks holding up and signalling to two separate tank tops.

I can't help but grin as her and Cara start bickering about which top goes better with her shoes. Quickly swiveling off my stool, I manage to sneak my way out and pad gently across the tiles. I head out of my bedroom and skip lightly down the stairs, squeaking against the floor as I go. The light cotton of my skater-style skirt swishes around my thighs as I twirl into the kitchen and around the marble island that dominates the room. Humming my summer jam, Despacito, thoughtfully, my eyes are so focused on rummaging through the contents of the fridge that I don't notice the sound of soft footsteps coming up behind me. Therefore, once I turn around, I almost jump out of my skin when I see Eli's tall frame hovering nervously in the doorway. Damn, why does he still manage to look so good even when he's being awkward.

"You scared the life out of me," I half laugh with a deep breath, my hand pressed firmly under my chest.

"Sorry," he laughs back sheepishly, reluctantly coming into the room with his hands casually in his pockets.

I have no idea what to say in response and instead nod my head slowly, a slight smile stuck on my face as we linger awkwardly together. I'm just about to open my mouth and say anything I can think of when like a whirlwind, Jeremy and Tyler storm into the kitchen laughing and joking loudly.

"So I have the itinerary of our night all sorted," Tyler brags, wearing his usual mischievous grin as he slides the sheet of paper across the island counter towards me for my inspection.

"Itinerary?" I laugh, rolling my eyes and ignoring Eli's burning eyes from across the room.

"Hell yeah! I'm all for spontaneity but mixed with the right amount of organisation too," he grins back, holding his hands up defensively.

"Well, why not stop there?" I start teasingly, refusing to make eye contact with you know who at the other side of the kitchen. "I mean we can get you a clipboard and a whistle. You'll be the complete party tour guide."

We can't help but chuckle when his face falls totally serious as if actually considering it.

"Well," I mutter between taking swigs of my pink gin and tonic. "I'm gonna go finish getting ready." I balance the three drinks in my hands as best as I can before swerving as steadily as I can out of the kitchen, only speeding up once I'm out of sight and rushing towards the stairs.

"Wait ... Dani!"

I hear Eli's familiar voice approaching from behind just as I place my foot on the first step. Shoot! With as much false breeziness I can muster, my legs spin round to face him; still stood at the kitchen door. Raising my eyebrows as if to pry the answer from him, we stand in a dense silence for an unchecked period of time.

"Don't worry ... It doesn't matter," he mutters unconvincingly before letting his eyes fall to the floor and hurrying back to join the raucous laughter that emanates from the kitchen behind him.