Remembering our Promise

*Flashback of Eli and Dani*

"No! Jeremy!" I scream out in terror as my supposedly loving big brother, charges straight at me, sending us both plunging into the pool. "You dick!"

I splash to the surface, trying not to choke on the chlorinated water while I laugh hysterically. I'm absolutely soaked, feeling my mascara smudging down my face and my silk top sticking uncomfortably to my skin. As soon as I regain my bearings, I send a surge of water at Jeremy in revenge as everyone around us begin cannon balling, fully clothed, into the pool too. What ensues next is utter chaos. Dozens of drunk young adults all soaked to the bone and splashing around crazily. I let myself lay back on the water's surface, soaking in the cool droplets and staring up at the sky that's filled to the brim stars.

I'm distracted from my peaceful meditation and brought back into the current madness when I feel a pair of strong hands pulling me from the water. I'm raised high in the air and placed carefully down onto Josh's shoulders.

"Josh!" I squeal, protesting to his cheeky grin while he spins around sending water flying everywhere. I have to cling onto his shoulders for dear life.

The wide smile on my face instantly falls, when I glance across the pool and see Eli with daggers for eyes. He's not sending them to me though, these are exclusively for Josh. I give Josh a prod and he lowers down slowly before tossing me into the water and making me giggle helplessly. The laugh doesn't last long though as I clamber out of the pool and after another glance at Eli, storm towards the doors.

Where the hell does he get off giving off looks like that? I felt like he was judging me for having a laugh with a friend.

I charge inside, my drenched feet slapping onto the tiled floor. I head straight for the stairs in such a rush, I don't hear the footsteps behind me.

"Dani!"

"What?" I spin around a little more dramatically than I meant to, my wet hair hitting the side of my face.

"Don't "what" me, I can tell when you're pissed off."

"Well can you blame me? You just gave us the dirtiest look!" I fire back, feeling my cheeks enflaming.

"So you're an "us" now," Eli breathes with a raised eyebrow, folding his arms over his bare chest.

"What the hell is your problem? We're friends!" I almost shout back, having this resentful Eli around is really horrible.

"Yeah, you were really good friends last year, that's probably why he's come back for more," he mutters emotionlessly.

My brain and my limbs seem to disconnect at that point therefore I'm just as shocked as him when my hand reaches out and slaps him hard. We stare at each other in utter shock for what feels like years, his cheek now bright pink and his eyes sparkling with surprise.

"Look ... I'm sorry I didn't mean to ..." I mutter in a confused mess, shaking my head before scrambling up the stairs and running away, feeling guilty as hell.

"No Dani! I'm sorry," he exclaims, chasing after me as his normal soft tone returns to his voice. "Stop," he insists, grabbing my arm gently as I reach my bedroom and open the door. "I didn't really mean that, I just ... I let my jealousy take over my sense."

"I don't have to explain myself to you," I start stubbornly, eventually turning to face him again. "But even if I did, it's not like that! I don't see Josh like that, it's just comforting to see him. He gets what I went through. What we went through; together!"

"Well you can talk to me too! You don't have to remember it all by yourself," he continues, softly now, tenderly stroking my cheek.

"I appreciate that, I do, but you weren't in that cell like we were. You weren't trapped in there not knowing what was going to happen to you next with no idea of time or where the hell in the country you were." I realise I've gone off on a rant and press my hand to my lips tightly, blinking furiously.