Chapter 26: Paonia's Diner

QOC: Are you a fan of Billie Eilish? 😍 (I LOVE HER)

o • O • o
Sam's POV
O • o • O

I've seen those posts on Instagram about cute guys bonding with little kids before, but I've never seen it in real life until now.

And it's ten times more adorable.

Emily smiles at Kason, and would probably be laughing if not for being mute, as he makes a goofy face at her while wearing the unicorn face paint an artist gave him. I even have to release a small snort, because even though he never wore bunny ears around the school naked, this totally makes up for it. Although I'd prefer he'd embarrass himself nude, this is pretty good.

My little sister looks up at me and signs, "He is funny."

I grin. "I know," I sign back.

"Now I know what you meant by feeling out of place when other people speak a different language in front of you," Kason speaks up next to me sarcastically.

I laugh and face him, unable to take his sarcastic glare seriously with pink face paint making his eyes sparkle. "She just said that you're funny."

He looks back to Emily, giving her an impressed look with his arms crossed. She giggles when he bends down to her eye level. "Wise words, young warrior. I see that you have a good judge of character."

I roll my eyes and slap the back of his head. He flinches and glares up at me, but the unicorn paint really sets off the girly vibe more than strong macho man. "Ow. What was that for?"

I cross my arms as he stands up again. "You aren't allowed to spread your ego onto my sister. It may be contagious."

He scoffs just as Emily pulls on the bottom of my hoodie that Kason let me borrow - a different one than the night I spent in his bed (innocently).

"Can we go to the music place again?" She signs excitedly. I think back to the small nighttime diner that's open twenty-four seven. It's the most popular karaoke spot in all of California, probably. But not many actually do the singing part. Typically it's a spot where people listen to the terrible singers.

Luckily, it's also an open mic for any performance. So sometimes there's a good person playing. And it doesn't have to be a voice. Like me occasionally, I go down for gigs and play my violin in the modern music genres.  Everyone knows me there. But I haven't been there in forever.

I smile at her and then face Kason. "Wanna go sing Disney songs with me?"

He quirks a brow. "I don't sing."

I shrug. "Neither do I."

He looks at me quizzically for a moment and then shrugs back. "Okay, sure."

Emily claps her hands excitedly, and I take hold of her left one. When we begin walking toward the diner, which is actually just three blocks away from Emily and I's special spot, Kason grabs my sister's right in his own. I smile at his large and toughened palm enveloping her tiny and soft one in his hold.

When we get to the diner, some guy is on the stage with his buddy standing next to him. They're belting out the lyrics to an Ariana Grande song: Dangerous Woman. Fortunately the volume is turned down to a quiet level, but their voices still radiate pretty loudly.