Chapter 5 | "Welcome home, gorgeous"

'I can hold the weight of worlds
If that's what you need
Be your everything'

(ò_óˇ)

When we arrived, I quickly ran inside the house, Ace following, and went to the attic.

"You lived in an attic?" He says wide-eyed.

"Haha, yeah, it got really cold in the winter and we already live in a cold state so excuse the mess of blankets," I say somewhat embarrassed.

I quickly get my largest backpack and start packing things that are really important to me, not that I've had many clothes to begin with.

Some shirts, sweaters, jeans, school stuff, and most importantly the necklace and the ring from my real Mother that I kept hidden inside a pocket in my underwear that I never use. I wasn't allowed to wear accessories.

When I finish packing, I go up to Ace that was standing watch at the door of the attic in case any of my parents came in.

"A backpack? Are you sure that's all you need?" Ace asks.

"Yes, now can we go before they see me leaving please," I beg, scared they might see me somehow.

"Alright, calm down. Nothing is happening to you while I'm here okay?" He pulls me in a quick hug taking me by surprise, before I could do anything, he let's go and grabs my arm beginning to walk outside the house.

I take a look back at the house for hopefully the last time then lock it and ride into Ace's car.

"Thank you," i tell him quietly, not wanting to ruin the peaceful mood.

"You don't have to thank me for anything Bird," he gives me a closed mouth smile before turning his attention back to the road.

"Wait actually, can you drop me off at the clinic?"

"I thought you said you started at seven? It's only four," he points out.

"Well, better early than late. Plus I'm gonna need extra shifts to pay you back for whatever you're planning on getting me. Oh! How much is rent? I have a few hundreds saved in my account for the next semester but I can start saving ag—" I get cut off when he slams the break.

"One, you don't need extra shifts, just accept the money I'll give you like any normal person would. Two, you're not gonna pay rent, I own the place, I'm my own landlord and I say you can live for free as long as you don't get annoying so calm down," he assures me.

"I'll accept that I don't have to pay rent, but I'm not letting you pay for anything else. The decision is final," I cross my arms awkwardly trying to make a point.

When we finally reached the clinic, he told me he'll be back at the end of the shift to pick me up since he'll be around the area.

"Ray, a drop of golden sun, do you want to tell me why the gang leader of the mafia just dropped you off to work and looked like he was talking?" Sarah, my friend from work, asks.

"Because he was?" I say putting on my coat and looking at my patients for the day.

"You know who he is right?" Sarah follows me as I go to my first patient.

"Yes, Ace King, leader of a feared gang."

"Ace King, leader of the mafia basically, doesn't let ANYONE call him by his first name, never talks to anyone outside his 'work' environment and basically a billionaire overall," she explains which catches me off guard but I don't show it.

"That's good for him Sarah, don't you have a dying patient to go to?" She sighs and leaves for work.

As promised, after work, I see Ace's car pull up and thank the manager for a good day at work as usual.

When I enter the car, I buckle my seat as if it's been a habit for years and turn around to smile at Ace.

"Good evening Birdie, how was work?" I begin to tell him about my day and what Sarah told me, which caused him to laugh and talk about how his reputation is so funny.

Once we arrived to the mansion, i got out and took my backpack with me before running to the door like a little kid.

"Open open open open," i jump excitedly as Ace just laughs at me taking his sweet time.

When he opened it, he looked at me smiling and said, "welcome home, gorgeous."