Prologue

CURRENTLY IN THE PROCESS OF EDITING THIS STORY! I AM SO SORRY FOR THE ABSURD AMOUNT OF COMMAS AND POOR WORD CHOICE! IT IS BEING FIXED :) THANKS. 

ef·fort·less

ˈefərtləs/adjective

adjective: effortless

requiring no physical or mental exertion.

achieved with admirable ease.

---

I trudged up the off-blue carpeted stairs to the hallway branching out to lead each resident to their respected apartments.

The layout of this particular apartment building was strange. The original structure was built in the 1970s and obviously designed for looks more so than to be practical. The stretch of walls went on for what seemed like forever and prompted your trail of a complete loop before reaching the same ugly blue carpeted staircase again.

The walls were lined with a grey and white stripped wallpaper with spurts of colorful stock-like photos near each residents door.

And luckily for me I was the first door on the right. No more than ten feet from the stairs.

My feet killed after standing for the past five hours, I could feel countless blisters making their presences known around my aching feet. With a deep sigh I reached into my bag and dug until I found my keys.

Twisting the key into the lock, I got the door open to reveal my tiny and nearly empty apartment.

The concert tonight was the only thing I had been looking forward to for months and kept me motivated even though my entire life was crumbling to bits and pieces. I had a feeling something was going to happen tonight. Which was a stupid thought in hind sight. Now I was left to fend for myself in the middle of a most-likely haunted California apartment building.

My parents and I had a huge fight and it resulted in me packing everything I could stuff into four large duffel bags and leaving in a tiny Honda Civic.

I let my legs give out from underneath me and my body dropped onto the bed, creaks ringed out and echoed around the empty room. My fingers dragged across my face and scratched my swollen eyes gently. I let a deep sign out and hardly opened my eyes, staring directly above at the fan swirling around.

Without thinking about anything too much more I decided to wait until morning to try and even start figuring out what I was going to do on my own. I was running out of money for this place, even though it was a shit hole, it was still an expensive property. There were beautiful villas surrounding the entire area jacking up the value. Even some of the apartments in this complex were really nice but I didn't even dare to think about how much they cost.

With money weighing heavily on my mind I drifted out of consciousness.

I jolted awake and jolted up straight and pushed back the heaviness of the pitch black darkness enveloping me.

A bang had shook me out of my sleep.

I blinked rapidly in an effort to adjust my eyes to the darkness, luckily I was able to see within a few seconds and my white bedroom was untouched.

The stiffness in my feet cramped up hanging off the bed which still wore brown booties from the night before. I flung them off and they hit the floor one after the other.

"I can't see! The lights are fookn'..." The paper thin walls didn't do this man much justice, who I assumed was in the hallway, letting me in on everything he was yelling about, "Hello?"

My eyes shot out of my skull. The voice grew in volume and the ear spliting sound of glass shattering ruptured throughout the walls of my living room.

This man was in my apartment.