Chapter FOUR - challenge me

"That's what you got? I gave you a thousand dollars and that's what you got?" Harry yelled playfully at me, his smile lit up the room more than the lamp in my eyes.

Harry and I bickered like we had been friends for years. It was so refreshing, it felt like I did have a new friend.

I pushed my hair behind both of my ears and opened my mouth in shock, "What do you mean? I like it!"

He shook his head and took his attention off of the lamp, looking around the rest of my apartment. Harry twisted his lips, trying to hold off a slight smile. I felt heat rising in my cheeks, "You really are something else, you know? There's nothing in this apartment and you're trying to give the money back."

"Well I don't need it, I'm going to get a job and-"

"Doing what?" Harry interrupted, plopping down on the couch.

I swallowed and avoided eye contact, "Well... I-I don't know yet, but I'll figure something out. I've always been a very good and hard worker, maybe someone-"

"You new to LA or something, dear?"

I opened my mouth to try and form a sentence but all that came out was the simple word, "What?"

Harry twisted himself around on the couch so that he was facing me, "No one here lets anyone in unless they know someone. Who do you know?"

Wandering into the kitchen and leaning over the counter. Harry sent me a smile from across the room before rubbing his hands over his eyes, "Listen, I had to move out of my parents house on a short notice. I don't have much but I know it'll be alright, I'll figure something out. I always do."

"Short notice?"

I shrugged, "Yeah, a day or two. Been busy too, that's why nothings unpacked."

Harry licked his lips and gave me a challenging glare, "You're telling me you have more than just this couch, side table and lamp?"

I scratched my face, "Uh... I have clothes, and some food. And the light really adds a lot to the room so that'll hold me off for-"

"No, come on. Take the money. You need it more than I do."

I let out a deep breath and stared at him. His khaki flowy pants hung loosely off his ankles, I couldn't help but admire his sense of style. No one else would be able to pull a look like this off. I blinked quickly to snap out of it and put my firm and calm face back on.

"No-"

Harry stood up off of the couch and harshly grabbed the replacement lamp, holding it so tight his knuckles were turned white.

"I will break this lamp, I will probably get cut, and then you'll have to help me and clean this lamp up. And then I will give you another thousand dollars."

"Harry..." I warned, stepping closer to him with my palms facing him.

So much for firm and calm.

"Lennon," he bantered, "Tell me you'll take my gift."

I opened my mouth in shock and smiled into my words, "Are you threatening me right now, Harry?"

He shook his head and shut his eyes, reopening them with a darkened stance, "No threatening, only promising."

I pursed my lips and rolled my eyes dramatically, "Fine, put the fucking lamp down."

Harry pushed his shoulders back and grinned cockily while setting the lamp back down on the side table.

"Good, well I guess I'll leave you alone to your exciting apartment. But promise me you won't forget to lock your door tonight, some drunk bastard might stumble in here on accident and break that lamp."

I suppressed a blush on my freckled cheeks and nodded, "Oh of course, don't you worry."

I pulled the door open for Harry and he walked out, after shutting the door behind him and locking the door he yelled from the other side, "Use the chain lock too, Lennon."

On my tip toes, I peered out into the peep hole to see Harry waiting with his arms crossed.

Without taking my gaze away from him, I managed to slide the metal lock into the door frames holder. I watched him smirk softly to himself before wandering away, up the hall and back into his apartment.

The next evening

"Dyl, I literally walked around all day trying to find someone who would even give me an application. There wasn't a single company remotely interested!" I let out a huff, holding my mug tightly between my cupped hands. The apartment was freezing and I was craving a hot cup of coffee, but I didn't have the money to buy a coffee maker or go out and buy coffee. So microwaving a tea bag was the closest thing.

"I'm telling you, no one is going to just let in some random girl who is walking the streets," Dylan sat in the exact place Harry sat last night.

I blew air out of my lips, making them vibrate against each other, "I don't know what to do."

"Well, look on the bright side. You have that guys money now. That'll help you last for a while, and after that I'm still here for you," Dylan offered once more. I looked up at him and his warm smile.

Dylan was always a ladies man, he had tanned skin and was slender but built well. His brown hair and bright blue eyes were always what girls raved about to me in college, I was usually the friend who would listen to others about their crush on Dylan.

I never saw him in that way though. He was more like family to me than some cute boy.

I blinked back memories I had on the night I left home.

Dylan and I in my backyard...

No, don't think about that right now. It's in the past.

"And that's why I love you, but I can't accept that offer. You know I can't," I wandered over and sat on the opposite side of the couch than him, stretching my legs out so that my sock covered feet were resting against his thigh.

His hand rested on the top of my foot and he gave me a disapproving look, "So stubborn."

I smiled, "I always get what I want."

Dylan laughed and tilted his head back with a smirk, "You do, even that concert. I dropped two hundred just to go see that guy with you," my stomach sank to my toes.

'That guy' was two doors down the hall.

I bit my lip and forced a laugh out.

"Yeah, thank you... by the way. It meant a lot to me."

He shrugged, "Yup'" he popped the p, "Well, I better be going. I have work tomorrow at seven and it's already... oh shit. It's two in the morning, how do we manage to talk about so little for so long?"

We both stood up and meandered over to the front door, hugging each other and saying our good nights. I shut the door behind him finally, twisting the regular lock to ensure my safety.

I started to walk away but froze in my tracks, with my head leading, I turned around slowly and stared at the door. My eyes shut momentarily before I made my way back over to lock the door with the chain as well.