prologue

To no ones surprise the entire Decepticon operation runs because of Soundwave. Besides data gathering on relics and enemy positions he keeps lazy cons working by looking in their general direction, keeps Starscream from scheming, oversees energon shipments, pretty much keeps the entire Nemesis airborne and makes sure everyone has what they need to do their job. Most of his work is done behind a screen but he frequently does rounds to fix any problems along the way.  He often takes work back to his room and stays up for days on end without a break to finish work.

Soundwave is doing his rounds as always. Whenever he walks into a room there's problems that need his attention. The third in command keeps getting more and more that needs to be fixed, the work piles up. And then he's doing something he absolutely detests; making avoidable mistakes.

Soundwave returns to his position on the bridge, perhaps he's more useful behind a screen today.

[execute order: ship energon to Nemesis

ERROR

locate data: 03759702

locate shipment: Energon

ERROR                                                                            ]

Soundwave is overworked. Error messages are popping up left and right on his screen. This is infuriating. He doesn't have time for this, he has so much more work to do. Why won't his processor stay focused!

"Soundwave."

Soundwave almost visibly jumps at the sudden call. He'd never been caught off guard like this before. Especially not by his liege.

Megatron has noticed his third in command is not functioning properly for a few solar cycles. It's troubling. Soundwave is his best and most loyal soldier, irreplaceabley valuable to the Decepticon cause. The warlords optics narrow. "How long has it been since your last recharge?"

Soundwave stares off into nothing trying to locate the date. 

Soundwaves lack of response is enough data for Megatron to conclude it has been too long. He growls, frustrated with his best mechs inability to take proper care of himself.

"I can not have my third in command functioning less than excellent. You will take time off. Do whatever you need to be in working order again in a deca-cycle."

The purple mech wanted to argue. A deca-cycle off! Does lord Megatron even know how much work would pile up in ten of this planets solar cycles?! But if these are his lords wishes..Besides with all the mistakes he was making he'd only be adding more work to the pile, he reasoned.

"Effective immediately, Soundwave." Megatron adds when Soundwave only stares at him blankly. 

Soundwave acknowledges Megatrons command with a nod and retreats from the bridge.

________________

Soundwave can't do time off. His processor doesn't let him recharge. He's constantly reminded of the ever growing pile of work he could be doing, and some other more unsavory things he'd rather not remember. After fruitlessly trying to recharge, he picks up some old projects to distract himself with. Several frustrating hours later he still hasn't made any progress.  Finally he gives up on doing anything with tangible results and decides instead to try and clear his processor by flying.

He flies. Pushing himself to go fast. Faster. Slicing through the air as if Unicron himself is scorching his tail wings. Soundwave isn't watching where he is going, he doesn't realize a change in wind direction is making him lose altitude. Out of seemingly nowhere a flock of screeching birds is in his way, he flies right through. *species goose* his processor (un-)helpfully provides. He doesn't see the fast approaching ground because of the birds.

*WARNING* *COLLISION IMMINENT*

He pulls up but its already too late to correct his trajectory. As a last ditch effort to minimize damage he transforms and rolls with the crash.

*assessing damage* *Leaking energon* *helm damaged*

*audio receptors offline* *com link offline* *wings damaged*

*spark damage minimal* *total damage 46.07%* *self repair system online*

Soundwave can't feel his wings or his pedes... where are they? Are they even still attached? Should be, or he'd be getting warnings about that. He feels almost blind, even though his optics still work. Without his audio receptors Soundwave feels disoriented, everything feels like its coming through a blurry haze. Where did he even crash? Where are his servos? Where are his wings? He can't hear anything.

Soundwave finds a human. Human found him? It's trying to communicate. What is it saying?

*rebooting audio receptors*